Create a FLAT surface to engrave names

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodo

Hello,

What suggestions can you give me to make a flat surface on a 7mm pen, in order to give me 1 1/2 mm, (1/16") to engrave on a flat surface.
Please give me a technical description of how to hold the pen, and how to create the FLAT surface.

Tools available: - Lathes, Dremel, Pillar Drill, Router

A while ago i decided that the only way the ensure quality was to engrave in house. I bought a Gravograph IM3 second hand, and it works well for me on all pens except thin Slimlines.
Here I need some help.

Thanks to all
From Jerusalem, Israel, the land of some of the best Olive Wood

toddlajoie

IMO (and I am FAR from an expert on this so more knowing people may correctly contradict this) with a standard slimline, unless you put a significant bow or otherwise profile the wood, there is VERY little material left between the tube and the rest of the world (The 7mm tubes are .268" and the bushings on a standard slim are .335", leaving .067" if done strait bushing to bushing, and within that .067" is your drill wobble and glue, and any air pockets the glue did not fill). To then flatten out a part of that is going to take even more of it off, to the point where the center of the flat could end up being the thickness of a hair. I would be concerned that after you had your flat spot, there would be VERY little left to carve into...

gratz

I've always had pretty good luck having pens engraved (by MrCook here on the forum), here's a 7mm slimline that he did for me sometime ago... I agree that there isn't much wood left after turning!

By the way, LOVE the olive wood from the Holy Land!!!

Attachments

• penzbygratz.png
    penzbygratz.png
    500.6 KB · Views: 262
Top Bottom