The crazed look

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tiger

I've turned this timber before and applied the same finish and never had this happen. The timber is some sort of Australian Burl and the kit is a JR Gent. What caused this to happen do you think? Have not disassembled one of these before but am going to re-do this pen, just wanted to ensure the same thing doesn't happen again.

Attachments

• JR pen.jpg
    JR pen.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 283
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

CA finish ?

How long has elapsed since you applied the finish ?

Was the wood acceptably dry before turning ?

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Second thought; a burl?

Even after dry, (really dry..) I've read that they are still prone to cracking without any regard for precautions.

I'm not experienced enough to relate from experience, but others have reflected that burls, even after dry, will still move, most likely with humidity and temperature.

Equals = good luck!

Tiger

My initial reaction was that the wood moved but I have turned the same timber and applied the same finish (as far as I can tell) and there has been no cracking and it has been at least a year since the other pens were turned.

robutacion

My initial reaction was that the wood moved but I have turned the same timber and applied the same finish (as far as I can tell) and there has been no cracking and it has been at least a year since the other pens were turned.

Well, that would make "not yet dry wood" not applicable and from what you are saying, I would focus on taking no chances on the re-doing of the pen, after the present coating is removed to bare wood, make sure to wipe well the barrels with acetone and let it dry for half an hour or so.

Come back to it with some CA that you know is fresh (not too old) and apply as normal.

Good luck

Cheers
George

Top Bottom