Crap! Crap! Crap! Crap!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

It's my own @!#$%^#& fault. I forgot to clean out the tube before pressing the fitting in.

It was so purdy too. Purple stabilized box elder burl with a CA finish.

zenpurpleburl01.jpg

You all know what happens, don't you?

zenpurpleburl02.jpg

After I'm done slapping myself around, I'll figure out a complimentary wood to fix it with.

Sigh.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rollerbob

Don, if will make you feel better, I managed to crack both ends........feel better? O well, I tried. It is purdy though:)

bruce119

Heck just pop out the parts slap it back on the lathe blow it out real good maybe clean it up with some acetone fill it with CA refinish. I bet you would never be able to see it. It would be just like filling any other crack or void.

Bruce

DurocShark

Been there done that on at least 4 pens this week!

What kit is that it looks nice?

It's the Zen in black titanium.

I like the alt ivory idea. I was also thinking about getting some maple veneer and layer it with a purple dyed veneer a couple of times, then a chunk of maple at the end.

workinforwood

I'd pop it apart, use a tiny bit in a rotary tool to slightly widen the crack. Pour some purple dyed inlace into the crack, and then you'll have stabilized purple dyed worthless wood BEB. It will look good. If you are real careful you won't even have to re-finish it. The inlace will polish right up like PR.

artistwood

:smile-big::smile-big::smile-big::smile-big::smile-big: Never don that before...(crossing my fingers) seriously, been there, done that......again, and again, and......you get the idea.... really nice work though. maybe post a before and after????? might help someone though the same problem....thanks for sharing...bear

ps.....i must be an alchemist.....i was turning a piece of walnut burl the other day and suddenly it turned in to brass!!!!!!!!!! dang thing must have been made of dynamite cause it EXPLODED....naw....i never have problems....

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
:smile-big::smile-big::smile-big::smile-big::smile-big: Never don that before...(crossing my fingers) seriously, been there, done that......again, and again, and......you get the idea.... really nice work though. maybe post a before and after????? might help someone though the same problem....thanks for sharing...bear

ps.....i must be an alchemist.....i was turning a piece of walnut burl the other day and suddenly it turned in to brass!!!!!!!!!! dang thing must have been made of dynamite cause it EXPLODED....naw....i never have problems....

So you are saying that your wood artistry is more to the abstract side of art????? :biggrin::wink::biggrin:

GouletPens

I'm betting throwing back on and doing more CA would fix it....it's worth a shot a least. I can't think of an easier solution than that.

DurocShark

The problem with just filling the crack as-is is the crack allowed that end to pop a bit proud. I need to fill it somehow and then turn it back flush.

I'm going to experiment with some PR and see what I can do.

Just pull on it a bit and make sure the glue is bonded well to the tube. I have seen thhem continue to crack once started. Maybe drip in some thin ca to stablise the crack and rebond it to the wood.

Top Bottom