Craftsman or Artist?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

Which one do you consider yourself to be?
I consider myself to be a little bit of both.
Without art, there is no design.
Without design, you can't be a craftsman.

Or so I've been told.:tongue:

So, which one (or both?) are you?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

You can take this question to many levels. It has been asked Is this a hobby or a business?? Are you a pen turner or a pen maker?? Now a craftsman or artist. Well I feel you need to be a craftsman to be and artist but do not need to be an artist to be a craftsman. I am and always will call myself an artisan and this spans artforms other than pen turning. I have the skills to be a craftsman and some artistic skills to create. You can ask do you have the vision to create works of art and also the skills to carry them out. So what I am getting at it is not cut and dry but the question can go deeper. :):)

mmayo

I am referred to as an artist at the Gallery n Gifts but I feel woodworker or craftsman feels better.

Gregory Hardy

I think that by definition, the qualifier is whether or not the product is used for something besides "looking at." That withstanding, if you make pens that are, in fact, functioning useful writing instruments, you are a craftsman. If you make pens (or whatever) for the sole purpose of being admired, then you are an artist. Just had this conversation with a colleague who took exception to the use of the word "artists." "Artistic" or not, "craft" is "craft." Nothing wrong with being a craftsman/woman. Hardly makes you less useful. Again - by definition, it makes you more "useful." Good luck with your argument, folks. Call yourself whatever makes you feel important and then live up to it.

(Friendly advice to the good listeners: Don't "call yourself" anything. Ply your work and let others call you whatever they want - except late for supper. Word to the wise.)

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I'm an engine builder that makes nice pens :) I consider myself a tinkerer. It may take a month to make a pen for me. But I do alot of other turnings

bdempseyjr

Given the choice between the two, I'd consider myself a craftsman. Even the ugly (and I mean ugly) pens I originally turned years ago were functional.

PatrickR

If you make Pens in a shop you are a craftsman. If you make Pens in a studio you are an artist . [emoji3]

HaHa! - What if I call it a garage?

But seriously, what ever you are comfortable with. I worked as a "Graphic Artist" for many years. Just a trade term. I never referred to myself as an artist. Just don't care for it or the stereotypes associated.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I try not to take myself too seriously, and nobody else should also. How others label me is of no consequence. If I have satisfied my creative urge, who cares of the label. My self esteem should not reside in the power of others. If I only care about what others think, then if they think less of my skills, my self esteem would suffer, with no actual diminishment of skills - to me this makes no sense. Nah,... call me whatever you want; I'm good.

If I had to vote? OK, Craftsman, I'm perfectly fine with that.

I would actually prefer to help others improve their skills than worry about what some think of my skills. So Maybe "Teacher, or Mentor" would be a better description.

jttheclockman

Here some past posts on this subject for your reading pleasure. We all should have some pride and to say who cares call me what you want does not show that pride in my eyes.

I have been an electrician in the construction field for 43 years before I retired 4 years ago. I prided myself as a craftsman and would sing it from the top of a mountain if asked. Within my profession there are times when the artful side does appear and as example the running of pipe work. Making concentric bends to not only look good but to fit in general areas. Not everyone is skilled enough to do it even though it is part of our skilset. Customers expect top quality work especially when being paid top dollar.

My point is pick one or both but own it and do not say who cares call me what you want. Take pride in what you do and show it in the finished product.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f17/craftsman-vs-artist-you-judge-80068/

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/what-your-goal-pen-maker-99211/

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/pen-maker-pen-turner-pen-assembler-78338/

Since I haven't really got into creating that many blanks on my own, meaning either segmented, acrylic or parts blanks. Nature is the one that created the art, I feel like I'm just helping out by showcasing the art it created. That's what makes me feel good about making pens, I get to hold the beauty of nature in my hands and let others use and see that same beauty. So I'm definitely ok with craftsman in that if I do it right, that beauty will be around for a long time for not only myself, but for others.

jttheclockman

Since I haven't really got into creating that many blanks on my own, meaning either segmented, acrylic or parts blanks. Nature is the one that created the art, I feel like I'm just helping out by showcasing the art it created. That's what makes me feel good about making pens, I get to hold the beauty of nature in my hands and let others use and see that same beauty. So I'm definitely ok with craftsman in that if I do it right, that beauty will be around for a long time for not only myself, but for others.

Well said Dave:)

TonyL

I am a hack - the plankton of woodworkers/turners. I take a rectangular blank and turn it round. I am humbled by what I see you guys/gals do. However, I am very happy being just that and marveling at what other can do.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Artist/Artistic: When customers pick up or look at a pen (or other object) for the beauty of intrigue of the design more so than just the function. The value of purchasing is based more on the beauty of the object than the use of it. Using it would possibly devalue it. Wood turned vases and bowls are an example. Some stand out so well that they are not used as center pieces with arrangements in them, but rather as works of art in and of themselves.

Works of art in the wood world - many times - are serendipitous because the beauty is tied into the nature of what is inside, but of course not always.

Craftsmanship is: skilled to the point of precision fit and finish and have an eye (vision) for what "might be", making a pen or object beautiful in its own right but not to the point beauty overpowers function. Craftsmanship focuses on bringing beauty into the function, with emphasis on function.

My opinion is very subjective to my own values in my own discombobulated world.

Sam Maloof made woodwork into a beautiful art form, but he always maintained that as art alone, his works weren't meant to be. They were meant to be felt and used. He once said his chairs in museums weren't meant to be "just looked at" but rather "sat in" to be felt and experienced. Of course museum curators disagreed.

If I had an original Maloof rocking chair, I probably would not sit in it, but rather - just look at its beauty!

Last edited:

Penultimate

I enjoyed reading your comments and found them insightful. If you watch the TV program "A Craftsman Legacy" the host always asks the person he is interviewing whether they are a craftsman or an artist.

I think a craftsman is part artist, engineer, and machinist/tool user. Each element shows up in the work I varying degrees, however all three are always present. A craftsman strives to make visually pleasing things as an artist does. The engineer part has to design the thing and probably design fixtures or tools to accomplish the design. The machinist/tool user has to execute the vision of the artist and engineer using proper tools and techniques.

I'm a DIY'er, everything I do feels like I'm doing it or learning about it for the first time. I haven't crafted enough of anything to have a body of knowledge that any of those three characteristics above shine thru.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Chasper

That was fun reading PenMan, TexDurango and other from years ago, thanks for pulling out those old threads.

Here some past posts on this subject for your reading pleasure. We all should have some pride and to say who cares call me what you want does not show that pride in my eyes.

I have been an electrician in the construction field for 43 years before I retired 4 years ago. I prided myself as a craftsman and would sing it from the top of a mountain if asked. Within my profession there are times when the artful side does appear and as example the running of pipe work. Making concentric bends to not only look good but to fit in general areas. Not everyone is skilled enough to do it even though it is part of our skilset. Customers expect top quality work especially when being paid top dollar.

My point is pick one or both but own it and do not say who cares call me what you want. Take pride in what you do and show it in the finished product.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f17/craftsman-vs-artist-you-judge-80068/

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/what-your-goal-pen-maker-99211/

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/pen-maker-pen-turner-pen-assembler-78338/

jttheclockman

Chasper, Gerry you have been here awhile too so you get as much of a kick as I do. I love looking back at some of the old threads and see some things have not changed over the many years. The same advice is given today as our fellow members before us were giving. I think back at some of those names and can remember some posts or pens shown by them that just stick in the memory banks. It has been a good run here for sure.:):)

sbell111

I am a hack trying to pass himself off as a craftsman, artificially emulating an artist.

The way I see it, an artist strives to make unique items. We try to make interesting items that even though they are not ordinary, we largely copy them again and again as long as the market will allow it. That beautiful one-of-kind pen that the person just fell in love with and bought is virtually identical to the same pen that We've made and sold dozens of times.

sbell111

Chasper, Gerry you have been here awhile too so you get as much of a kick as I do. I love looking back at some of the old threads and see some things have not changed over the many years. The same advice is given today as our fellow members before us were giving. I think back at some of those names and can remember some posts or pens shown by them that just stick in the memory banks. It has been a good run here for sure.:):)
Yesterday, I was reading a thread and I almost clicked on <reply> before I got to the end. I was surprised when I came upon the very reply that I was about to make. The surprising thing was that the poster of that reply was me. The thread was years old and I hadn't noticed.

Top Bottom