Craftmaster wood lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

musky

I have a guy wanting to sell me a 1986 craftmaster wood late for $100. He said it has not been used in probably 20 years, it was his dads and he used it a few times and stored it. 3/4 hp motor. 14x39 lathe. bench top. I can not find any information about this lathe online. Have any of you ever heard of this lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
If it is a tube lathe, save your money. My first lathe was a Ridgid and I almost gave up turning due to frustration. Would type more but I am on my iPhone and it is not as fast as a real keyboard.

Randy_

The biggie I would be looking at would be ---does it have a Morse tapper-hopefully #2.

And be sure it has an MT in both the HS and the TS. Some of the older wood lathes do not have a taper in the TS and that can cause a bunch of difficulties for you if you plan to turn pens. A lot of those old lathes were just designed to turn spindles and and didn't contemplate the bowls, stoppers and pens that many do totay.

There is a web site that is devoted entirely to old machines. I rarely visit it and can never remember the name; but I am sure someone else will come along shortly and who can point you in the right direction

JimB

I have a 25 year old lathe I bought for $50. It's 12x36 with MT1. It does what I bought if for which is it's in my garage and I use it to rough out bowls from green wood. It's nice when it's a sunny day and i can have the garage door open and be "turning outside". Unfortunately that is really all it is good for. Everything else, including pens, finishing bowls etc is done in my basement on the jet 1014.

If this is going to be your first or only lathe I say save your money and buy something better and newer.

musky

Thanks I can't find any info even at the old machinery site. I think I am going to stick to my origanal plan of the PSI lathe off amazon. I was hoping it might be a steal, but looks like it could end up being like my old craftsman, which I can't find parts for or a mandrel that will work with it. Thanks again

Top Bottom