Craft Supplies Rollerball refils

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kentonjm

I recently bought a bunch of roller ball kits from Craft Supplies (woodturnerscatalog.com). The kits were just fine and look great although in one of them (thus far, still a few to make) the refill was completely dry.

Kudos to CSUSA customer support as I called them and they immediately dispatched me 5 new refills. However, even the ones that work seem rather 'scratchy' and not as smooth as what I would think a roller ball should be.

Admittedly the kits in question are at their "Apprentice" level and one that I got from the "Artisan" line does seem better.

Have others found similar? Or is this simply buy better refills?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

I consider all the "refills" that come with kits to be suspect and of short life. A quality new one goes out the door with the pen. Schmidt, Private Reserve, and for cross style I am using montblanc refills.

Not sure there is a really great cross style, but the kit versions are not close.

magpens

I agree with Ken. . I always provide a Schmidt or Private Reserve upgrade. . I don't do Cross.

SteveG

Just to provide some background, and the "Industry Standard" (the "Industry" being IAP pen turners), the most accepted RB refill of choice is the Schmidt 888 F. Now this refill (or a slightly upgraded Schmidt 5888 F) used to be found in almost all mid-to-high-range component sets. I have noticed that in more recent times, CSUSA has switched to a different refill for some mid-range RB sets. So my recommendation is to purchase the Schmidt 888 F, if not already provided.

kentonjm

Thanks Steve, great input. I see you can get a dozen 888F for ~$10 with free prime shipping on amazon. Similar from Exotic blanks but no free shipping.

I guess the question is what to do with all the less good refills you end up with. Make up some simple kittless pens or just toss them>

Just to provide some background, and the "Industry Standard" (the "Industry" being IAP pen turners), the most accepted RB refill of choice is the Schmidt 888 F. Now this refill (or a slightly upgraded Schmidt 5888 F) used to be found in almost all mid-to-high-range component sets. I have noticed that in more recent times, CSUSA has switched to a different refill for some mid-range RB sets. So my recommendation is to purchase the Schmidt 888 F, if not already provided.

Top Bottom