craft show

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hazard

I am thinking of getting a booth at a craft show at the beginning of December. I am planning on having some pens, cutting board and bowls there. I am sure this question has been asked before but I was wondering what are the best selling pens at small town craft shows. I am not looking for anything fancy and I imagine no one will buy higher priced pens there. I was thinking of taking 3 styles of pens with different woods and platings. How many do you take of each type generally. I am sure everyone has there favorites and types of woods that sell best. I was thinking of taking 50 pens. Maybe this isn't enough of a good show but when I might sell only 3 pens this is kind of expensive.

I was thinking the slimline style is for sure in. I have read posts about the 24k gold pens losing the gold plating. Do alot of you guys still make and sell these pens or go with better plating?

I had a booth at this show 6 yrs ago and tried selling just my bowls there. I sold 3 of them. Kind of sucked but everyone one was looking for low priced gifts and not $60 bowls.

Anyway alot of question. I know I should probably go to judged shows but if nothing sells I have alot of christmas present to give out.

Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Can't speak form others, but for me slim lines do not sell well. My best sellers are cigars and europeans in 24k and chrome and perfect fits in TnG and chrome. So far no problems with the 24k.
Prices range from $25-$50.

Rifleman1776

That's really impossible for others to answer. Your area and type of show will dictate. You may not be able to move $5.00 Slims or you may have success with $300.00 Emperors.
However, your thinking is good. I see guys with hundreds of pens and relatively few sales. A big inventory is simply dead money sitting on the table. Take your 50, go test the waters. Whether or not you make money, it will be a learning experience for next time.

ctwxlvr

Don't discount that no one will buy high end pens at a small craft show, always have one or two displayed, if they don't sell it makes the other pens seem a better value. Now for this year I have been selling a lot of slimlines with a price point of $20 to $30, some are barrel to barrel others are wasp waisted, but the key is the wood or acrylic has to be outstanding, or very ugly(IMHO), the wood that I sell the most of is KOA and it has a very "holographic" effect where depending on the angle the light hits the wood the color of the wood changes and shimmers. I had one that went from a dark chocolate brown to a gold color.

kent4Him

I'm going to disagree with Mannie. Don't use 24k if you are selling them. I'm even moving away from the 10k and wishing CSUSA would offer the Tn Gold European with a better centerband. I would stick with the Slimline, Father Sing, European, Americana and Cigar for that type of show. But be happy if you sell 3 pens at a small town show.

But I think a better piece of advice is to find a better show. Look for something up in Madison or down in Lake Geneva. Look at craftlisters.com

Matt

This is a very timely question, as I am going to do my first show at the end of October, which also happens to be in a small town. My current plans are to make about 20 slimlines, 10 slimline pen/pencil sets, cigars, sierras, and a couple of Jr. Gents. I'm also going to sell 3 styles of picture frames, as well as some cutting boards. I'm hoping that by using my shotgun blast technique, I'll have something for everyone.

Gary Max

Heck---even better----there is no answer. You will never be able to figure out what folks will buy. Just bring a bunch---have a price range and try and have fun.[8D]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by kent4Him
<br />I'm going to disagree with Mannie. Don't use 24k if you are selling them. I'm even moving away from the 10k and wishing CSUSA would offer the Tn Gold European with a better centerband. I would stick with the Slimline, Father Sing, European, Americana and Cigar for that type of show. But be happy if you sell 3 pens at a small town show.

But I think a better piece of advice is to find a better show. Look for something up in Madison or down in Lake Geneva. Look at craftlisters.com

Unless, you qualified with the "better centerband" comment, CS does sell the Euro in Tn gold. They are on page 115. Their Euros are in more than one location in the catalog, an idiotic and confusing way of doing things, IMHO. Personally, I don't believe the centerband design is at all important to the buying public. I have never had a customer even comment on the centerband design.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'm with chris (Kent4Him) on this one.

Look into Lake Geneva. We did an outdoor show there last year -didn't meet OUR standards, but in two days we sold some stuff and several of our professional crafter friends do the show every year, so this one might have been a fluke. It is put on by the Jaycees in the summer sometime. For us, loading to go home was a bear. Theyu have fireworks right after the show and everything had to be carted uphill about a block. Also, during the two day show, I had to park 8-10 blocks from our booth. For glass, we have to restock a couple times a day.

NONE of these things would have been a problem with pens, so I still suggest the show, since the demographics out there are wonderful.

Make a couple designs with nautical themes. (The LAKE - Lake Geneva)

hazard

thanks for all of the answers. I know these were general questions where there are no right answers but this gives me ideas of what can work.

Another hobby of mine is my tropical fish. I breed and sell them. I get a table at swap meets in Chicago and I try to guy what are good sellers but it varies every swap. A big crap shoot. The craft show won't be any different.

I will go with the advice of making a few higher end pens so people can have a comparison.

I personally am not a big fan of the gold plating. They look cheap to me.

Thanks again
Chris

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by hazard
<br />thanks for all of the answers. I know these were general questions where there are no right answers but this gives me ideas of what can work.

Another hobby of mine is my tropical fish. I breed and sell them. I get a table at swap meets in Chicago and I try to guy what are good sellers but it varies every swap. A big crap shoot. The craft show won't be any different.

I will go with the advice of making a few higher end pens so people can have a comparison.

I personally am not a big fan of the gold plating. They look cheap to me.
Thanks again
Chris

Something Dawn & I have learned in a decade of craft shows, YOU are not the CUSTOMER!!!!!

When we think it sucks, we make it anyhow, just not too many. Sometimes we are amazed at whst people like - but that's why we are there, to provide what THEY like - not what appeals to US!!![:D][:D][:D]

hazard

I know the gold pens look bright and shiny but I don't feel right selling them and knowing the gold will flake off in the future. If I am paying $20 for a pen I want it to last 10yrs, 20yrs and so on.

I have a parker pen that I got 20yrs ago and have never had a problem with it. This is what I want to sell.

The craft show thing is something I won't quit my day job for. Maybe buy another lathe or tools with earning. I guess the big reason for doing the show is to have an excuse is to spend time in the workshop. Thinking about it, how many pens, bowls or cuttingboards do I really need but I like making them.

Chris

1080Wayne

Chris For a small town show , would suggest you emphasize local woods . People like to see the inside of a tree that is growing in their back yard , or that they grew up with . It means more to them than some exotic that they have never heard of , let alone seen , even if that exotic is spectacular and the local somewhat plain , in your eyes . Have some slim slimlines , Euros , cigars , Sierras . Wayne

kent4Him

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />
Originally posted by kent4Him
<br />I'm going to disagree with Mannie. Don't use 24k if you are selling them. I'm even moving away from the 10k and wishing CSUSA would offer the Tn Gold European with a better centerband. I would stick with the Slimline, Father Sing, European, Americana and Cigar for that type of show. But be happy if you sell 3 pens at a small town show.

Unless, you qualified with the "better centerband" comment, CS does sell the Euro in Tn gold. They are on page 115. Their Euros are in more than one location in the catalog, an idiotic and confusing way of doing things, IMHO. Personally, I don't believe the centerband design is at all important to the buying public. I have never had a customer even comment on the centerband design.

Frank, I know quite well that CSUSA had Titanium. I just prefer the artisan centerband. I've had customers make their choice between two pens based on the centerband. I don't know if I would have lost the sales if I only had the plain bands, but I think they enhance the look of the pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom