Craft paper?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rmartin

Craft paper? Update, picture added

The paper bag trick worked great! I glued 2 2x4's by 30 inch pieces of red oak together and turned to 3 1/2 round. They held tight with aggressive turning, but split easily apart with a chisel. Added 2 pics below to show the results.

Thanks for looking!

I few months back I asked about a furniture piece I was working on, which I'm still working on. I had to take time off of it for Christmas pen orders.

Now I'm back at it.

I need to turn a 3" round by 30" long piece of red oak. But what I really need is the two halves after it's turned. Someone suggested I could use craft paper to glue two pieces together which would hold while turning, and then a sharp chisel could be used to split them apart after. Is there a special craft paper that works best? Would a brown paper bag work?

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• upper.jpg
    upper.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 145
  • bench.jpg
    bench.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I've only done it once, Elmers glue and brown lunch bag. Worked, but I might of got lucky. :biggrin:

txbob

Elmers glue and a brown paper bag will work well. Pry it apart with a chisel and lightly sand off the remaining paper and glue.

This is a great way to make matching earrings for the ladies in your life.

txbob

Jim Smith

Elmer's glue and paper towel also works fine for this application. In fact, that was how I was taught in the 7th grade woodshop class which was almost 50 years ago:eek:

Jim Smith

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Elmer's glue and paper towel also works fine for this application. In fact, that was how I was taught in the 7th grade woodshop class which was almost 50 years ago:eek:

Jim Smith
Did not realize they had glue back then. :biggrin::wink:

Rmartin

Did not realize they had glue back then. :biggrin::wink:

Maybe Elmer was one of his class mates?

Thanks for the replies! Newspaper, paper bag, or paper towel. I've got all of those. Looks like the common denominator is Elmer's glue. Which I don't have. But it makes sense not to use my usual Titebond II.

DozerMite

Banned
I use yellow wood glue. I don't think the glue matters too much, it's the paper that creates the weak joint and it is what tears apart, not the glue.

Top Bottom