Cracks in finished polyester resin... - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 12:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 15

Default Cracks in finished polyester resin...

The image below is from the near the top of a Majestic Series I finished a couple of days ago using an Golden Dawn PR from Exotic Blanks. I was using it to practice my photography, when I noticed what I thought was a blemish in the finish.

Turned out it was several cracks near the end of the pen. I went back to the photos I shot a couple of days ago, and they don't appear in any of those.

All of them are within 3/4 of inch of the end of the tube. They're all curved, and the curve is pointing towards the top. Some of them are under the surface of the acrylic, while two of them have broken through the surface (E and F).

EDIT: I just noticed there are additional, subtle cracks further to the right of F. The cracks are all on one side of the pen. No other cracks anyplace else.

Any idea what I might have done to cause this effect?

Thank you.

t.

Toby Younis

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum.

Last edited by WildcatHollow; 12-31-2009 at 12:35 AM.
WildcatHollow is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-31-2009, 12:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Photos: 30

Unless I'm mistaken, the blank is polyester resin, not acrylic. PR is relatively more brittle than acrylic and will crack if not handled with care. My guess is that you either applied too much tool pressure, got the blank too hot during sanding, or pressed too hard during assembly of the pen components. It is also possible that some glue or other material was left inside the tube and caused binding during pen assembly.
jkeithrussell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-31-2009, 12:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 5

I had the same problem recently. I had a Golden Dawn PR blank that I used for a Cigar twist pen. After turning the pen to size I noticed a pin hole on the lower blank. No problem easy fix. After finishing and assembling the pen I noticed what looked like two white hairs that turned out to be cracks on the lower blank near the center band running parallel with the blank. One's about 3/8 and the other is 1/2 inch long. I've had really great luck with exotic blanks and this is the first time one has done this. Not sure if I did something wrong or what. I just figured I'd keep this one for my personal use because even though it has two cracks I really like the pen.

Pessimists say the cup is half empty, optimists say the cup is half full...I say either way it's not going to be enough coffee.
pensmyth is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 12-31-2009, 05:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Photos: 46

go talk to Dawn..if she believes she had a "bad pour" she will talk with you..if she believes you left glue uin the tube and forced in a component, she'll tell you...go to the source first then here to the forum..she's a good gal and will help
Old 12-31-2009, 09:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I think it may be the nature of PR. Most of the pr I have turned is more brittle then other "plastics". Since you said the cracks appeared after the pen was finished and photoed, then I am really unsure. Most of mine occur when working on the blank and occasionally when assembling. If a customer were to bring me one back with cracks I would assume that maybe they dropped it or rough handled it.

A Wolfe Family Enterprises, LLC Business
Click on links below for:
Wolfe's Woodworking Blog
Email
* Website * Blog * Facebook
rjwolfe3 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-31-2009, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I work with a lot of PR and the location and all I am going to say to much pressure putting the pen together. its great stuff just have to be careful working with it. the results are amazing though.

Karin Voorhis is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-31-2009, 10:14 AM   #7 (permalink)

Photos: 6

I am not the OP but I did have a question. I believe that the OP said that the cracks appeared after he had finished and photoed the pen and posted it. If the cracks came from assembling the pen then wouldn't show up right away and not later on down the road?

A Wolfe Family Enterprises, LLC Business
Click on links below for:
Wolfe's Woodworking Blog
Email
* Website * Blog * Facebook
rjwolfe3 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-31-2009, 10:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I am think stress fraction from a bit too much pressure these might not show right away. too much pressure putting parts in will also keep that same tight pressure. I have even craked up wood after a day or few hrs thinking that extra pound of pressure was a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjwolfe3 View Post
I am not the OP but I did have a question. I believe that the OP said that the cracks appeared after he had finished and photoed the pen and posted it. If the cracks came from assembling the pen then wouldn't show up right away and not later on down the road?

Karin Voorhis is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-31-2009, 10:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Photos: 227

Well I'm pretty positive that it isn't from heat as I've heated loads of PR with a heat gun to form it into shape. I've had it so hot that you really can't touch it.
Couple of things...Is it only on one part of the pen ?( cap or body ) Is the other end fine?
Are you positive that the inside of the tube was clean?

I did a pair of Majestics recently where the fittings were so tight that I had to stop pressing half way and pull them out and skim them down on my metal lathe. I had to skim the plastic cap thread sleeve too so perhaps it is the tubes on Majestics that are just made a bit too small
Old 12-31-2009, 06:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 15

Default Inside of Tubes...

Skip...

Having read an earlier post where one of the members had trouble with his majestic, I made sure the inside of each tube was spotless, and that there were no burrs on the ends.

I also gave the plastic a bit of beeswax before I pressed it. Expecting the worst, and a lot of friction based on the reading of earlier posts, I was surprised at how easy all the components pressed together - smooth and quick with very little pressure.

The cracks are in the pen body near the cap end rather than the writing end.

A couple more of the cracks have appeared since my last post, so whatever is happening is continuing. And, I've handled this pen a like a baby. It's been wrapped in a piece of suede since I finished it.

Thank you all for the help. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

By the way, I am far less likely to blame it on a bad blank than I am on something that I did.

Would it have been better for me to use Gorilla Glue for the tubes rather than CA?

Regards,

t.

Toby Younis

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum.
WildcatHollow is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads