Cracks in Ca finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jtfoodguy

I just finished a pen in ca and it developed cracks on the ends after assembly, what causes this? I've just started finishing pens in ca so I am lost to what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks
John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

The expanding of the tubes when the parts where installed could have done it. Perhaps some glue got into the end of the tubes making the parts push the tube out more, or if the parts did not go in to the tubes completely straight could cause the finish to crack.

Troy Cleckler

I had a couple crack while cleaning the ends with pen mill, so I don't do that any more. Now I use a sanding disc. Would it matter how many coats of CA was applied. I put 16 thin coats on mine.

jtfoodguy

Well I should have added the first time I finished the pen it had several cracks in the ca finish so I took the pen apart and sanded it down and refinished it. Then I put the ca on again and the finish cracked the the next day. I cleaned the tubes before I put the parts together so the tubes were clean.
Thanks
John

GouletPens

if it's continually cracking like that, it might be a wood/moisture issue. what kind of wood did you use, and was it dry?

jtfoodguy

Brian I don't know what kind of wood it was, I purchased it at woodcraft in a grab bag, it smelled like coconut when it was turned and it was reddish with brown patches in color.

Top Bottom