Cracked Wood - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > Community Forums > Penturning
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Penturning General penturning discussions not specifically addressed in one of the specialty forums.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2019, 02:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Cracked Wood

But here we go I made 4 pens for 30cal bolt action kits 2 out of Red Palm 2 of Granadillo. Used 20 m1n Epoxy cured 4 days in my shop during this time the temperature swing was 35F- 65F. The day I turned the pens and finished them 50-60F with slow rain... Ca finish only. All 4 developed a crack 100% along the length of the wood.
lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-23-2019, 02:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

It sounds like your wood was green, i.e. not yet dried. Until most woods are dried sufficiently, they will expand and contract, some much more than others, even when dry. In most cases, it is the moisture loss or gain (humidity fluctuations) that causes expansion and contraction that results in cracking. If I suspect a blank is not yet completely dry, I will microwave it for a minute, let it cool down and microwave it again for a minute. I will do this several times. (that is my general procedure, not the specific one.)

Mesquites is one of a few woods that don't do dimensional expansion and contraction as most woods. The more brittle wood is, the more it is subject to cracking also.

One other possibility. Noticing that you are relative new to pen turning, getting a small amount of glue inside the tube and then assembling it - that can and does cause cracking. In most cases it is instantly but in some cases, there is just enough expansion of the tube that with the first sign of humidity change or heat, suddenly it will crack - sometimes for the whole length. But in your case, this probably did not happen since all 4 did that.

Good is the enemy of Best

Last edited by leehljp; 02-23-2019 at 02:35 PM.
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-23-2019, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

The wood did not crack immediately I stored them in my residence for 10 days. I opened the box that is when I noticed the problem.
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2019, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

It could be one of several things, or a combination of several things. First when you drill the blanks, you heat them up, some woods will crack just because of it got too hot. Green wood? Possible, but my guess unlikely but you are on the coast, your normal high humidity is absorbed by the wood, because wood likes to equalize with the local atmosphere.

Natural stressors inside of the wood are released when you drill, causing wood movement inside of the hole. This sounds like "hocus pocus" but pool cue makers like to remove small amounts at a time over days and weeks so that the internal stresses can be released so that the final product is perfect. Wood moves on it's own caused by both heat and humidity.

You moved them from the shop an uncontrolled enviroment to you house, which has heat and air a controlled enviroment. Part of the equation?

Some woods are just finicky and prone to doing strange things that are not explainable. My explanation for that is shop "gremlins", they are little unknowns that keep doing things to us to keep life interesting.

In short, sometimes things just happen.
dogcatcher is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-23-2019, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 7

I've never turned a green wood blank before. But I know when you turn green wood, it needs to set and dry for a period of time, depending on the size of the project. If your wood was green and you coated them with CA glue, the glue may have prevented the wood from moving while drying. May have forced them to crack.
bsshog40 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-23-2019, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 12

My understanding is that palm is pretty stable. It isn't actually wood and doesn't have growth rings, so it swells and shrinks evenly. If all four blanks were from the same supplier, then it's possible that they were not yet dry. Typically suppliers will warn customers if the wood is still wet, but pen blank sizes should dry within a few weeks, so I'd say it's not a common problem (with purchased woods). Are the cracks all the way down to the tube? A pic of the failure might be helpful.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

Cracked Pen blank is attached
Attached Thumbnails
split-pen.jpg  
Old 02-24-2019, 06:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos: 2

this was mentioned above and I am betting difference in humidity in the house and the shop. Carefully examine the wood cutoffs - are there any fine cracks in it? If so could be enhanced by heat from drilling and humidity/temp changes between the house and the shop
Old 02-24-2019, 08:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member Liaison

Photos: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
Cracked Pen blank is attached
That is a humidity/heat crack. You said earlier that they were in a box. Were they in a room with a window and placed near the window so that sunlight might shine on them. Usually that type/size of crack pops up when a pen is placed near direct sunlight and short periods of quick higher temps are reached - such as in a hot car or in a glass case in which sunlight is able to hit on it for an hour or so.

It does not have to be that situation as other situations can cause it. I did not read that you took it into your house, (I missed that). Changing the environments for furniture that is made in unheated and non-environmentally controlled shops causes home made furniture to crack also. I would say - that is exactly what happened to your pens.

I lived near the coast in Japan for 25+ years and humidity played a big role in the way I did my woodworking and later my pen turning. I experienced the humidity cracking in wood in my earlier years - from wood that had been air dried for 10 years or so. My shops in my earlier years were not heated or cooled and humidity/temp changes was something I learned to adjust to and avoid when possible. As to pen blanks, I mentioned previously that I would microwave some blanks slowly or put them in humidity stable environments for a few days before using them. Sugar Land - Coastal area, that will affect some blanks and the thinner they get, as in a turned pen, the more likely that will happen.

One more bit of information: Consider this a big plus. If you start selling or just making and giving away pens, You learned early on what happens, and it happened before you sold them or gave them away. Better to happen at home than having your reputation tarnished. I have been there and done that.

Good is the enemy of Best

Last edited by leehljp; 02-24-2019 at 08:56 AM.
leehljp is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-24-2019, 11:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

Photos: 5

Iíve had many issues with red and black palm once the wood gets thin. Stabilizing helps, but the wood is weak along the linear grain boundaries.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
More4dan is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads