Cracked Bakelite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

A recent thread on an exploded casein pen prompted me to look more closely at my materials stock . The casein was okay , but some of the Bakelite wasn`t , as shown in the attached photos . Has anyone else had this happen , particularly in the drier parts of the continent ? Or does anyone have a better explanation ?

They were stored in an old blanket box along with all my other plastic blanks , which appear to be okay . They were certainly not cracked when purchased 2 -4 years ago . The warped one is a 90 degree rotation of the cracked one . It is the end cut off a sheet , and has warped towards the
new edge . It was straight or very nearly so when I purchased it .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toddlajoie

I don't have any experience with Bakelite, but I'll commensurate with you. I would be seriously bummed if I had found that with such nice material!!!!

After looking at this, it makes me want to check my stash, but I'm scared. Especially since it looks like I got them from the same listing you got yours from.

SteveG

That bakelite has been sitting around somewhere for years...many years, without the cracks forming. And those individual blanks are likely each from different sources. Yet now, as they sit essentially untouched and unworked at your location the cracks appear. That would seem to suggest that you have a crack inducing environment. Beyond those statements, I have no idea what the cause may be.

Anything like severe temperature fluctuation, or is there just a phantom bakelite monster cruelly devastating your stock?

In any case, I am sorry for your loss. I went to inspect what I have, and thankfully my collection is sound. I have similar blanks to three of those shown.

Top Bottom