Crack in maple burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kdoc87

I picked up a net piece of maple burl fused with alumilite resin, and noticed a crack in the center after turning. I was just wondering how a more experienced pen maker might go from here. I know that burls can have defects and voids in them and am not sure if this is considered OK or if I should add it to my screw up pile :mad:. Here's a picture Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Fill it with thin CA and keep on truckin, mate ... That's why it was cast in resin to begin with. Too unstable to turn without some kind of stabilization.

SteveG

That is almost not a problem at all. There is so much varied grain lines in the burl, that a little matching saw dust/CA treatment will be an totally acceptable resolution for the issue.

Joey-Nieves

I think it's un repairable, send it over to me so I can discard it for you!:):biggrin::)

If you did the casting then you take a little mics mixed with CA and it will look just like the rest of the pen. I keep little bottles of ca with basic mica colors mixed it the shop just for these instances.
Joey

79spitfire

Fill and go....

Variations in burl add character and prove it's a 'real' material, not one of the 'fake' plastic woods out there today.

Top Bottom