Crack in finished pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I made one of my nicest cigar pens yet, in my opinion today. It has been finised for a few hours, and I just noticed that there is a small SMALL crack in the edge near the center on the bottom half. The pen is assembled and I have a buyer. Is there anything I can do to fix this. My thought was to drill a SMALL hole at the end of the crack and finish with CA.

Please advise!

Thanks!
Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I will have to send the picture when I get home. I have the pen with me - but no camera.

No the finish is not CA, now. Personally, I do not like a CA finish on a wood pen. Granted they look great - but I don't like the way they feel compared to a true wood pen...but again that's MY OPINION.

Thanks again!
Bill

nilsatcraft

I encountered the exact same problem last night. I turned a great looking pen with alternative ivory inlay and, while assembling it, cracked near the clip. Since this is the third pen I've done for the same customer (they weren't happy with the first two [:(!]) I will be disassembling it, remounting it on the lathe, filling the crack and refinishing it. Hopefully this will take care of it. Good luck with your pen! [:)]

Originally posted by smoky10
<br />You never said what type of wood it is, so if it is ebony or pink ivory or any of the other woods that are prone to cracking I would switch to another wood.

Sorry it's Cocobolo - I'm going to go take a picture of the crack right now.

Bill

crack2.jpg

There is another pic in my photo album.

ANY advise would be great. I really don't think I'll have time to get another turned by Christmas...

Thanks again guys!
Bill

Fangar

Unfortunately, that is a not a good spot for a crack. That was definately caused during the press fit process. Maybe from either a component that was made to tight, or more likely from soem CA or other glue in the tube. Also, could have been from a poorly milled blank where that portion extended slighly past the tube edge. The problem now, is that is are is likely under pressure. To save this one, I would simply dissassemble, put back on the lathe and fill with some thin CA. Then you can use your same finish. For a stronger repair, that would not be visible at all, I would use a CA finish over it.

Cheers,

Fangar

I think there was some epoxy in the tube; I made so many pens that day, I remember one had that problem. I didn't realise that could turn into such an issue.

As for disassembly. Being that someone wants this one for Christmas and I don't have a disassembly tool/kit. Any suggestions so I can save the kit? This is my last/only satin copper cigar.

Thanks again!
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom