Cowboy Themed Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rej19

I have been comissioned to make a cowboy themed pen. Other than engraving a cowboy themed picture I am coming up blank. I sure could use some ideas.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Phunky_2003

Constant has a horse inlay kit, that may work for what your needing. He also has a 25% off sale at the moment. If that is not what you are looking for. Contact Constant and see if he can work something up for you. Maybe a horseshoe or something could be done.

You could also try to contact NewLondon to see if they will have anything on their new designs that may work for you. I am hoping to get a blank I ordered from them in the next day or 2.

If all that fails, Jeff Powell (workinforwood) ? could possibly be talked into creating a one of a kind scrolled blank for you.

James

Phunky_2003

Or if you have a scrollsaw, you can go to Jeffs website. He has some instructions on how to make scrolled blanks. He is also a pretty nice guy, I am sure he'd help you with creating it. I've made a few with his instructions and help, but he'd definately be better than I would for help.

James

I am with Jon on the leather. When I designed my leather pens (polymer) I was inspired by the tooling on the sadle. Pick up an issue of "Cowboys and Indians" Magazine and something will catch your eye.
Turquoise accents would be nice too!

Attachments

• Aged Leather Watermark.jpg
    Aged Leather Watermark.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:

OldGrumpy

Cowboy pen

If it is for a reall Cowboy keep it simple. I like the mesquite idea with some form of branding.

If it is for the Drugstore Cowboy type do anything you want and call it a cowboy and they will never know the difference.

I grew up in a farming family but have been around lots of real cowboys

workinforwood

Mount a tube between centers. Take a small diameter piece of hemp rope and glue it on an actual center. Spread some 5 min epoxy on the tube. Turn the lathe by hand wrapping all the way across the tube to the next center and use a dot of CA to glue the rope to that second center, then let the blank sit and cure for 20 minutes. Once the epoxy cures some, then pour thin CA all over the blank to soak into the rope and stablilize it. Once the rope is stabilized with thin CA, cut the rope off the centers and trim the rope back close to the tubes, then barrel trim it. If you want the pen to be smooth all the way across, then use several coats of CA to build it up. Otherwise, send the blank to someone for casting if you are unable to cast a blank yourself.

Top Bottom