A couple trimming questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scooley01

After I glue up my blanks, I use a barrel trimmer to clear the tube of epoxy, and flush up the ends. Since I started turning, all I've ever done was 7mm tubes, so I use the same trimmer for everything.

I noticed in PSI's catalog, their "free accessory kit" that comes with some packages includes a "barrel trimming sleeve." Can anyone clarify what exactly this is? Is it a whole new trimmer? Or something that fits over the trimmer I have? Or do the shaft/trim head separate and it's a different diameter shaft?

My other thought is, I recently switched to drilling my blanks on the lathe, but I still have been trimming them with the trimmer chucked into my corded hand drill. Can I also trim on the lathe? I would assume so, but I don't want to make any assumptions :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crabcreekind

It slides on to your 7mm barrel trimmer, to center it in a bigger tube. Like a 3/8 tube. If you didnt have this the barrel trimmer would not cut to the tube at 90 degrees

ossaguy

It just slides onto the shaft of the trimmer,and slides into the tube.I just turn down junker blanks that have 7mm tubes,and turn and size til they are a nice fit.The hard plastic material will hold up better over time,though.

Steve

KBs Pensnmore

Yes you can use your trimmer on the lathe. I put in a 3 jaw drill chuck, (using a block of wood, tap drill chuck in to secure it) mount the trimmer and use a pair of Pliers to hold the blanks. DO NOT try to hold the blanks by hand unless you want skin removed DAMHIKT.
Kryn

wouldentu2?

Use your 7MM trimmer and a 7MM tube with a junk blank on it turned down to fit in the larger tube for the pen you are working on. You will need several after that for all the different size pens will be making.

StephenM

I have an old 3/8 Craftsman drill that will trim blanks with no problems. I just put them in the vise and drill down.

I also swiped one of my son's cans of Playdough (it's pink so he didn't miss it). I roll some out flat, stick the tubes in before i roll them in the epoxy and I never get any epoxy inside the tubes anymore.

sbell111

I'm not a fan of the sleeve approach so I bought a collection of trimmer shafts that actually fit the various pen tubes.

Scooley01

@sbell111: Where did you get those? I'd be much more interested in that route. Turning wood down to the right diameter would work, but I don't have any calipers so that'd be an added cost there.

bensoelberg

If you're looking at other, cost effective solutions and have access to a disc sander, you can buy the transfer punch set from Harbor Freight. I haven't found a pen yet that doesn't have a punch that fits the tube snug. Drill and glue your blank, insert the appropriate size transfer punch, build a simple jig that will keep your punch square with the sander and sand till you hit the brass. When I say simple jig, I mean simple - here are a few pictures showing my jig and how I use it. It took about 30 seconds to glue together, it's never failed me and I've been using it for about a year and a half.

Attachments

• 001 (800x600).jpg
    001 (800x600).jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 002 (800x600).jpg
    002 (800x600).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 128
  • 003 (800x600).jpg
    003 (800x600).jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 138

cwolfs69

I'm not a fan of the sleeve approach so I bought a collection of trimmer shafts that actually fit the various pen tubes.

that is what i was about to mention. buying new shafts. the sleeves are more of a pain than they are a help. they do not clean the glue from the inside of tube and since they even been know to explode tubes since they are so tight. DAMHIKT
i have actually over the last year have a pretty good selection of shafts and have bought extra trimmers so i do not have to swap out my most common. the new style at Woodcraft work great and can be purchased in almost any size. they are clearly marked with size on side of shaft. love them.

PTsideshow

Turning wood down to the right diameter would work, but I don't have any calipers so that'd be an added cost there.

Not trying to be a smart a** but, I can't believe you don't have a a caliper or caliper set?
6 piece technical measuring set

Currently on sale, $8.99 plus if you have the 20% off coupon. $7.19 plus tax 7 assorted digital calipers in assorted price ranges. You can get both types at all most any place that sells tools.
The big box store sell General brand plastic and metal versions . either 6" dial or 4". There also is a number of turning calipers that the suppliers sell.

GColeman

First and foremost stop getting adhesive in your tubes. If it ain't in there, you don't have to spend time getting it out. One poster mentioned Play Dough. I use plumbers putty. Sill others use dental wax. Plug the end of your tubes with it before you glue. Punch it out when it dries. Don't trust the trimmer to get it all out. If the trimmer shaft will fit the tube, there has to be some clearance. If there is any clearance, glue can be left in the tube.

As for the sleeves from the trimmer kits. I use them if I have them. I don't use them on a trimmer. I slip them over the shaft of my disc sander squaring jig. Mostly I turn my own either from a messed up 7mm blank or a dowel. For the dowel made sleeve, I chuck a larger dowel in my collet chuck, drill a 1/4" hole centered, and then turn it to fit my tube. No calipers required. I just turn and sand until the tube in question just slips over the dowel. I finish with paste wax and part it off.

I hope this gives you extra ideas.

propencity

I've gotten used to using my collet chuck to hold the rounded barrel with the tube glued inside and using the skew to trim the excess.

KBs Pensnmore

I've found even the trimmer shaft is under size, I found a drill bit works excellent as some of the tubes are under sized, making it almost impossible to assemble the pen. Just be sure to use some WD40 on the bit to help lubricate and stop glue adhession.
Just my 5 cents worth. We don't have 2 cent coins here anymore.
Regards
Kryn

rherrell

WHY, WHY WHY does everybody worry about removing glue from inside the tubes! There's a very good way to prevent it and make your life a WHOLE lot easier.
Get some of this wax... Pen Turning Supplies-Baseplate Wax

I haven't cleaned the inside of a tube in 7 years. If I do need to for some reason I use a chainsaw file, available at your local Lowes or HD.

TurningPoint

I agree with GColeman -- don't get glue in the tube in the first place. I use a slice of raw potato (about 1/8" thick) and poke one end of the tube into it before gluing into the blank. No glue gets inside, and the plug of potato does not stick -- I poke it out after ten minutes or so. One little slice lasts for 8 or 10 tubes, and so far my wife has not missed the potatoes!

sbell111

I never worry about getting glue in the tubes because it is super simple to remove with the proper tools. I'd rather keep removing the glue when I face the blank than add a step messing with wax/playdo/potatoes.

Top Bottom