Couple Three Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

I purchased some BOW. Now I'm having a hard time deciding which pen kit to use with it. Any suggestions?

Also, I just finished a Sedona from AS using white pearl blank. The finish turned out real nice. The only problem I encountered is, when I painted the brass tubes. I used Kilz Premium sealer-primer-stainblocker in white. I glued the tubes in with CA. There are a couple small spots that I can see brass tube showing through. Like the paint scraped off as I inserted the tubes or the CA ate it. What paint works best? Should I have drilled the blanks a little over sized to allow for the paint and glue?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Latex house type paint like Kilz is pretty thick and I would think pretty easy to scrape off. I just use the $.99 per can spray paint, but you do need to let it get completely dry, or the CA glue will mess it up. some people use the little jars of model paint, which is relatively thin and dries pretty much impervious to anything.

As for drill size, I always just mike the tubes and pick the next size over from my drill bit kit, but yes, if you are going to paint the tubes, you probably don't want a real honeymoon fit between the blank and tube.

mick

Paul whatever kit you use , think seriously about using Black Ti. It's just MHO but I think it looks best with Olivewood. I sell a lot of Euros and Barons from olivewood.
I've had great luck using acrylic craft paint for my tubes and insides of the blanks......no limit to the colors available!

Chasper

I know others use CA with painted tubes and have no problems, but when I do it the CA eats holes in the paint. I use Testors model paint because it dries quickly and I haven't had any problems. When I paint a tube and inside of the blank I use epoxy with a few drops of paint mixed in with it.

For a white pearl blank I would consider mixing a little white pearl powder into the paint as well. You can buy it at the hobby shops. I drill with whatever bit the instructions recommend, not allowing any extra space for paint.

MobilMan

Normally enamel or lacquer spray paint works real well, but you might try a no-sand type of spray primer. I'd suggest the automotive primer as that's what it's made for, to help the paint stick to bare metal. Make sure you let dry for a few hours. If you plan on doing a lot of acrylics, pull the tubes out of the kits & paint them & leave them til you are ready to use them.

follow3

When I have time, I powder coat my tubes. I usually go with black, white or silver, depending on the color of the blank. Nothing seems to effect powder coat once it has cured. I do drill my blank just a tiny bit larger to allow for the thickness of powder coat, but not for paint.

If I don't have time for powder coat, I use epoxy and tint it with powder pigment.

Steve

thewishman

Fingernail polish does a good job and is available in an almost infinite variety of colors. If I want to ensure complete coverage, I also paint the inside of the blanks. Like James (jskeen) I drill with the next larger bit to accommodate the extra girth.

Chris

Top Bottom