A couple small issues with Aero kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

patmurris

Hi all! I sold one Aero pen to a friend about a month ago (my third sale). Today we had lunch and i got a bit of feedback about it. The pen was a gift to a lady.

He mentioned two small issues and i don't know what i can do about it:

One is the refill does not extend enough for the person. It works ok, but she'd like the tip to come out a bit more.

The other thing is the refill is not tightly fit into the pen tip and it moves just a little bit when writing. He says it's fine when writing on a soft surface like a notepad with several sheets of paper but on a hard surface like one sheet of paper over a desk, it is somewhat uncomfortable.

Any advice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redwd707

My best guess is that your barrel is a touch on the long side. Id disassemble the pen and sand the ends to shorten it just a bit. When the refill extends properly, it should solve the wiggle as well.

patmurris

I don't feel comfortable shortening the barrel at that point since it is not a perfect cylinder - more like an ogive, and the fit will not be right after that.

No, the transmission cannot be adjusted like on a slim or an euro kit.

louie68

I would contact customer service where you brought the kit,if you purchase from woodturners ,Utah then ask for Sam he can help Great Guy!

BSea

If you have ever made a sierra click pen, they have spacers that you plug into the end of the refill. I've used them on occasion to fix something like you describe. And the Sierra click has 2 with each kit. Just grind it down on a disc or belt sander to whatever size you need. Even if it's just a small amount. But remember to transfer it to the refill when the time comes.

Bobalu

Don't know if this will help you, but take a look....

http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77445&highlight=aero

In the second post on that thread, Louie56 mentions something about the refill spring being tapered and causing a problem if it isn't installed in the correct orientation. I don't know if this applies to your refill extension problem, but it might.

The second problem you mention probably relates to the first issue. If the tip of the refill isn't properly extended so that the tapered section of the refill tip isn't fully visible, you could get some excess side to side play. I think once you get the first problem fixed, the second will go away with it.

Added Note: I just noticed that Louie56 had already commented on this problem, so maybe your problem and his aren't related. Oh well, it wouldn't hurt to check the spring orientation anyways. Sometimes the feedback you get from customers isn't accurate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom