A couple questions from a newbie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cseymour

Hi All,
I am a total newbie, chomping at the bit to get started. I am still accumulating funds for a lathe (hopefully April timeframe).

Anyway 2 questions --
1. Has anyone used the drill press lathe? Is it worth trying?

2. Does anyone make their own pen boxes? I have a scrollsaw and some nice scrolling wood, was wondering if their are any plans available to make pen boxes as I wait for my chance to start turning (then really start asking questions)

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I cant answer about the drill press lathe, but several members make pen boxes but I dont remember any plans being posted. You should be able to look at the finished designs and redreate them without plans.

ctubbs

We had a member that used a drill press for a lathe and made some rather good pens on it. However, using a regular lathe appears to be much easier and faster. i do not remember just who the gentleman was. It is doable.
Charles

PenMan1

After one pen on the drill press lathe, your back and neck will really hurt. You kinda gotta turn your head sideways and stay bent over to keep a perspective on what you are doing. It is also difficult to keep the tool on the "tool rest". But as Charles says, it is doable.

On making boxes, I did make my own. But unfortunately, today, you can actually buy a quality box for about $10. The materials to make that same box are about $20.

I do plan to go back to making boxes as soon as I get the CNC router.

OOPS

I know that Woodcraft sells plans to make an interesting box. When you open up the lid, the pens rise up from their nesting place. I understand that its not too difficult to make, either.

Chris - I make my own boxes (mostly scrap wood from other projects). Here's a pic and a post I did a while back that has a drawing and notes/constr hints (pic is kind of big)
Post link: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f22/pen-boxes-87409/index2.html#post1297633
attachment.php

Attachments

• pen boxes.jpg
    pen boxes.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 233

cseymour

Thanks for all the replies
Ted those boxes are fantastic.
Andy - thanks for the comments on the dp lathe. That is just me being impatient. I will wait for the real lathe. At least now I can try making some boxes until I cann get my lathe.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Top Bottom