Couple of questions for from the new guy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dabull24

Couple of questions from the new guy

Hey guys,
Im a new member here. I got a lathe last month and have been addicted ever since. I have made a few cigar pens and wallstreet pens but wanted your advice for some Christmas presents. I want to make each of my family members a pen(for the guys in my family). I really want to make them pens that have a cap to them also. What pen kits do you guys recommend? Also im an amatuer when it comes to wood. What wood species would be really nice looking on the pens(I really like burls)? Is there a online store where I can mix and match a assorted set of woods to order? Thanks for all the help!
Tim

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

First of all, welcome. My recommendation is the Junior Gent v2 from Craft Supplies or the Baron from Arizona Silhouette. Both of these make a very nice pen, especially when dressed with a nice burl. As far as buying burls, there are a view people here that sell very nice wood, BigRob and Nolan come to mind and I'm sure there are others.

smoky10

Tim, welcome to the IAP and I go along with what Bruce said. Those kits are very nice and those wood suppliers are outstanding people. Look in the classifieds for them and others. Some great plastics there also.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I'd agree on the Jr. Gent II .. nice looking pen if you have a good figure in
the wood, and it doesn't break the bank.

GoodTurns

thewoodguy sells nice stuff, I have bought from him. Check out the postings on the site. look under Most Valuable Vendors, Business Classified and Individual Classifieds as there are several different folks selling in the different forums.
You won't go far wrong with any of the folks here, plus they are happy to help out with selecting the right blanks for your project.

rherrell

http://tinyurl.com/5k993t
http://tinyurl.com/6hhnln
That first link is to a Platinum Baron Rollerball at Arizona Sillhouette- $12 for 2 - 10.
The next link is for Stabilized Buckeye Burl blanks, also at Arizona Sillhouette, for $4.95 each.
That meets your price and will make OUTSTANDING pens. The Jr. Gent is a little nicer pen but I chose the Baron because you can get that GREAT blank and the pen at the same place, which makes it nice.
And you CAN'T go wrong with Arizona Sillhouette.

Top Bottom