A couple of pens for Scott

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Smith

I don't usually post pictures of pens but Scott said I would be perfect if I turned pens so I had to show him some. He didn't say anything about photography.

Six pocket pens.
20066821154_ppens.jpg

Top to bottom:
Angle cut goncalo alves
Honey locust burl
English walnut
Grape
Black walnut
Bigleaf maple

Close up of locust and English walnut.
20066821630_close.jpg

Osage orange stream line with a narrow band.
Deer antler American flat top pen.
2006682179_2pen.jpg

The pictures looked good in my photo editor. I hope they show up better than in the preview. You probably can't see the figure in the English walnut but it is the same stuff I have posted for sale.

Dave Smith

Pens to turn before I rest in Longview, WA.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Dave!

You know, by doing this, you have sunk to our level! [:D] You may have also, unwittingly, left yourself open to a new addiciton! Only time will tell! [;)]

The pens look great! What finish are you using?

Scott.

Dave Smith

Frank, the kits are Small Pocket/Purse Pen N-Series from Berea. You can find the kits on this page. http://www.bereahardwoods.com/new/other_items/other_1.cfm#3

Scott, I do turn pens I just don't get real fancy with them so there isn't much to show off. If the photographer got any worst I would have to fire him but he is too stupid to fire himself. I use a home brew finish equal parts linseed oil, pale shellac and alcohol. Occasionally I will use CA glue with the brew if the wood is particularly soft or porous.

On antler I usually seal it with thin CA glue, sand and apply thicker glue if necessary to achieve a smooth surface. Wet sand with 1000, 1500, and 2000 wet dry paper. Then polished with Meguiar's #2 Fine-Cut Cleaner and followed by Meguiar's #9 Swirl Remover. I first used Meguiar's for polishing the top of an English walnut coffee table. (http://www.woodnheart.com/webpage/Furniture/01ct.html) I shouldn't give away my trade secretes but your local auto paint store has more finishing products than a pen turner could ever use.

Dave Smith

Wife thinks I am a perfect idiot in Longview, WA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom