A couple of new member questions...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shortz1lla

I'm sure you've heard these same things before, and yes I could just do a search, but this gives me the chance to have some interaction on the forum. I have been handcrafting duck calls for some time now, so I'm not looking for turning instructions. I am ordering the mandrel saver and mandrel from PSI today. What I would like to know is whether ink refills in the kits are any good. Also, I like the looks of the trimline (not slimline), where would one go about finding the best deal on a small pack of these?
Edit: thought I'd share a picture of a few calls I've made...
2013-07-27_16-45-16_47501_zpsd3545c88.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

I like the Saturn kit from woodturningz. Same design as the trimline. The comfort pens without the rubber grip are basically the same pen,also.

If you make your own center band from wood or acrylic, or omit it altogether, you can make the basic slimline kit fatter and get the same effect. Woodturningz also sells fatter emtal center bands. Do a search on customizing slimlines. It is pretty amazing what can be done wiith a $2 pen kit.

Last edited:

turncrazy43

The ink refills that come with the kits are ok. If you turn pens that require parker style refills try the easy flow 9000 from Exoticblanks.com. They are great and the price is very good.

shortz1lla

I just bought the mandrel saver and mandrel kit, 12 pack of trimlines, and a set of bushings from PSI. The 12 pack is on sale right now, and there is a $10 off promo code DVD10 in case anyone is interested. What size blanks would one use for these kits? I have some 1.5s I use for duck calls I could slice and dice if there would be minimal waste.

edicehouse

1/2 x 1/2 would probably work. Wait till you get the kits and check with a scrap 2x4 to get your comfort level. By the looks of what you turned up top you will be in great shape.

shortz1lla

Hey Joe!!

What are you using for the finish on your stoppers? They have a nice shine!!

Ed

Thanks Ed! Of the calls with shine, all but one have a CA finish (zebrawood is thinned lacquer). Presently using stickfast, but I should be receiving an 8oz medium I ordered from exotic blanks the other day, that's you right?!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sorry, you SAID they were calls---I just didn't retain that!!! (Your designs look a whole lot like the bottle stoppers I did).

And yes, ExoticBlanks is Dawn and me. Thanks for trying us!!!

shortz1lla

Those would make for some very big bottle stoppers! I didn't realize that's what you thought they were, a lot of callmakers call insert / tone boards "stoppers"

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I just bought the mandrel saver and mandrel kit, 12 pack of trimlines, and a set of bushings from PSI. The 12 pack is on sale right now, and there is a $10 off promo code DVD10 in case anyone is interested. What size blanks would one use for these kits? I have some 1.5s I use for duck calls I could slice and dice if there would be minimal waste.
PSI sells cut and predrilled blanks for slimlines that are 9/16th - they work just fine so that size or maybe a tad bigger will do you just fine.

shortz1lla

Maybe a better indication of blank size requirements would be the trimline's center band o.d. I could just step up a bit from that. Either way, I've got some beautiful katalox with sapwood inclusions and a bit of che chen in 2x2 that would be great for cutting into fourths.

Top Bottom