Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffj13

First picture posted in Penturning
First turned centerband
First CA/BLO finish
First disassembled pen.

I'm basically a b2b guy, so I thought I would try something different. I wanted to add a little width to a slimline and I thought turning my own centerband would help in doing that. Also thought I would try CA as a finish as I have been basically a lacquer guy.

As you can see it didn't turn out all that well. Might be hard to see, but there are tiny gaps between the centerband and the rest of the pen. Any secrets on getting a tight fit here?

I also had some trouble with the finish. The blanks stuck to the bushings when I was finished (I have since learned to use wax paper between the bushings and the blank.

Any critique or advice would be greatly appreciated.

20061151525_slimline02.jpg

jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

Jeff,

The picture doesn't reveal anything wrong. The lines of the shape flow nicely, although I think I lean toward a narrower center band. The finish looks like a nice uniform satin (OK, if you were going for glossy, it didn't come out in the photo at least).

What's thte wood?

jeffj13

Thanks Barry.

The pen is redheart and the centerband is ebony.

The finish is satin, which is what I was shooting for. I was just very frustrated with the mess that I created with the CA and the BLO. Plus the fact that I glued the pento the bushings. Russ sure makes it look easy in his video.

jeff

mrcook4570

I don't worry about gluing the pen to the bushings. Slide the barrels to the end of the mandrel and snap them off. Once in a while, one will be stubborn. When that happens, I will score a line with the point of a skew and then snap off.

TBone

The mistakes aren't showing in the photo. Looks very good. Hard to avoid gluing to the bushings but you can score them with a skew as Stan said or use an exacto or utility knife and they will snap right off. CA finish is tricky, it is something I am struggling with as well. I cut about 5-6 pieces of scrap today to practice with. The redheart and ebony give a nice contrast.

cd18524

I also like the contrast in the woods. The more "custom" pens you make the better they will come out. It is like everything else, practice, practice, practice. As far as the CA and bushings go (I glue my bushings to the blank almost every time). A light tap of the bushing on the lathe bed will loosen one side up and then I slide the appropriate size punch in and pop off the other one. Never had a problem.
Chris

Skye

I'm assuming you used the pen mill on all 4 surfaces that make the centerband area?

Did you glue the centerband to one of theblanks?

If you want to be a little more consistant, glue the CB to the upper end. Make sure to mill everything. Put it back on the lathe, no center bushing and turn the whole thing and sand. Put the center bushing back in, polish. Remove from mandrel, trim again with the trimmer by hand slap it together.

woodchuckd

Nice pen. Regarding center band gaps, here's what I do. I turn down my blanks to below the milled end size. I then remove the center bushing and replace it with a center band drilled w/1/4 in bit. Then turn the pen as one long piece. The center band will fit nicely and you don't have to glue it to the upper or lower (however you look at it!) blank. Before I do the CA finish I seperate blanks from bushings and each other and rub a little wax on all mating surfaces. Then continue with finish. I've never had any problems w/gluing to bushings when I remember the wax! [:D] When I figure out how to get the pictures off my hubby's computer and onto mine, I'll post some pictures.

I've just started using the CA finish.. think as I get better at it, I'll like it.. makes a nice hard finish. Also have glued bushings to blanks, but no problem getting loose. Question: what kind of wax are we talking about.. a parafin, or candle wax or what[?]

DocStram

Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />I've just started using the CA finish.. think as I get better at it, I'll like it.. makes a nice hard finish. Also have glued bushings to blanks, but no problem getting loose. Question: what kind of wax are we talking about.. a parafin, or candle wax or what[?]
Don't forget to check out the CA Finishing videos that Russ made. Very, very helpful.

ilikewood

Hey Jeff, nice work. To see it best, you will have to send me the pen along with that background material. [;)]

I could use a little philatelic investment to my collection![:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom