Counter top repair paste

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Queso

Lowe's sells a product that is used to repair cracks/dents/what not in counter tops. Has anyone used this for void filling? It comes in several colors and is about $5 for a small tube.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Try imbossing powder and CA. Embossing powder is found in the scrapbooking area of Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. Use like stone dust. Lots of colors. I can post a picture of an imbossing powder ring on a pen if you would like to see it.
Do a good turn daily!'
Don

Originally posted by Queso
<br />Lowe's sells a product that is used to repair cracks/dents/what not in counter tops. Has anyone used this for void filling? It comes in several colors and is about $5 for a small tube.

esheffield

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />Try imbossing powder and CA. Embossing powder is found in the scrapbooking area of Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc. Use like stone dust. Lots of colors. I can post a picture of an imbossing powder ring on a pen if you would like to see it.

How do you do this exactly? I've seen some pens done like this but I've never done it myself and am wondering about the proper technique. Do you make a paste of the dust/powder and CA and put the paste in the groove? Using thick CA I assume for slower setting. Or some other method? Thanks!

its_virgil

OK...this is the only picuture I could find and it was the first time I used the imbossing powder. The wood is olive wood and is cracked..I carry this pen daily and it has had some abuse. I have have bad luck with olive wood cracking, but that is another post. This ring could have used a little more powder, but as I said this is my first try using this stuff. I will try to find a later picture that shows a better job on my part. This was actually my pen # 16.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

20053442435_ring.jpg
<br />
Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />
Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />I can post a picture of an imbossing powder ring on a pen if you would like to see it.
Please do, Don.

JimGo

Don,
Nice job! Up close, in the right-hand picture, you can see some of the voide, but overall it looks great! Very uniform thickness. I bet a black band wouldn't even show the voids. I picked up some black and another color (I think light blue) when I was at the craft store. I didn't see the torquoise! What did you think of working with the powder? Were the particles too big/small? What technique did you use to affix it into the ring? Did you use a friction polish? If so, did the heat make the crystals in the powder expand?

I am going to have to pack up my lathe this weekend; my wife and I are moving in a few weeks, but I'm anxious to try out the embossing powder, and any feedback you can give is appreciated!

JimGo

Although I'd like to get Don's take on embossing powder too, for those interested, KnottyHarry posted something about embossing powder here:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4272&whichpage=2
it said:
Posted - Mar 04 2005 : 06:20:00 AM US Eastern Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Griz,
I'll tell you what I can about the embossing powder.
It is very fine. And I do apply it with THIN, CA. The thicker doesn't seem to work as well. Sometimes I have to apply it a couple of times to get the effect I want. I just put a little more glue on it and sprinkle the powder on it. Save the the extra powder and put it back in the bottle. I do it on a piece of waxed paper.
In it's original use it was used on the back of envelopes as a seal.
Then you would heat it and it turns to a raised plastic design.
I think it is a very fine ground plastic.
The heat from sanding, etc. sets it up real nice. You have to sand it a little though to get it worked back to where you want it. It's kind of like sanding on acrylics...so don't over heat it.
What I have worked with so far I like.
And i'm certainly open to suggestions from anyone else who has used it.
It comes in a variety of colors. Some with glitter. Give it a try and see what you think.
Let me know how it comes out.
Harry

knottyharry
Posted - Mar 04 2005 : 06:28:38 AM US Eastern Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, where to get it. Michaels, AC Moore, abut any craft store. You can find it online.
What I said about using it on the back of envelopes may be wrong.
You use it with rubber stamps with designs on them. You would wet the stamp with the liquid they use, sprinkle the powder on it. Shake off the excess, and then heat it with a special little heat gun they use.
But I don't use the heat gun. Just let it dry and sand it.
Harry

its_virgil

The embossing powder is a fine powder...little plastic pellets and is used much like stone dust. I cut the groove and place in the powder and add a drop of thin CA. Just like the instructions by knottyharry in this thread. The void in the right picture happened sometime after I made the pen. It is not where some powder let go. This particular pen had cracks all over...I love olive wood but it is prone to cracking...at least for me. Hobby Lobby here has atleast 20 colors or more. The turquoise I used is really close to the real thing.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom