Could use some advice on slimline turning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadmos

First I just started doing this a couple weeks ago and bought about 40 slimline kits from rockler when they were on sale. It's been very enjoyable but I have run into a couple of snags that I would like some advice on

First I find that often the centerband is loose, easy to move, spin, etc, it's not a terrible problem, but it is a bit annoying and was wondering if there is a fix or a method to insure this doesn't happen.

Second on a couple pens the top (clip end) will continue to rotate pretty easy after pushing out the tip, they spin with light pressure...is there any kind of fix for this, naturally it's happened on the one's that seem to look the best.

any advice is welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ahoiberg

howdy, welcome aboard.

for your first question, that's just how the centerbands are on slimline kits. at least the ones i've worked with. i can't speak for every different kind of slimline, but they all seem pretty similar to me. if you don't want it to be loose, try putting some ca glue on a q-tip and glue it to one of the ends or the shaft itself. or better yet, ditch the centerband that came with the kit and make your own that will be permanently attached to the upper barrel.

for the next question, that happens a lot also and i think the best fix for it is again, some thin ca on a q-tip and quickly wipe it around the inside of the barrel, this will create a sort of grip for the barrel on the transmission. i've also heard someone mention using a punch and making some small dimples to expand the opposite areas of the transmission to help grip the inside of the brass tube better... i think the ca method will be easier and should work fine.

cheers.

Kadmos

Thanks for the reply, I thought about some CA inside the barrel, but didn't know if that would end up gumming up the works, but I'll give that a go.

I like the idea of making my own centerband, does anyone know where I might find some instructions on how to do this?

That would really open up a lot of possibilities for these kits, espically if I could make them thicker around

GBusardo

Kadmos, When you take Andrews advice, use very little glue. It's easy to over do it! On the centerband, the easiest way I found is to glue a short block of contrasting wood to the end of your blank. Drill for the tube and turn normally. You can make the "centerband" as wide as you like and you can get very creative. There are other ways to skin this cat, maybe others will chime in. Welcome and have fun!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
SLIGHT CLARIFICATION:

If you put CA into the upper tube to make the mechanism "fit" better, be sure to let the CA CURE BEFORE you reassemble the pen. A couple DAYS is good. Otherwise, you will get a white film on your refill and other parts.

Kadmos

I'll make sure I wait a couple days on that.

I forsee a milling problem if I just glue some extra material to the end of the blank...well I'll give it some thought and do some searching, but if anyone has more suggestions, keep them comming, thanks guys

Buzz

The rotating bands on slimlines is something that does not bother me. I now always use a spot of glue on the clip and nib when assembling these pens.

All other pens get all appropriate parts glued too. I use a Canadian made glue (Weldbond) which needs 24 hours to dry, but does not cause the problem of discolouring the plated parts from the fumes generated by CA.

I also use Weldbond to glue in tubes, if I'm not in a hurry to start turning.

I hate the clip being able to spin around as it very easily marks the timber.

Kadmos

Never heard of weldbond. I was using med CA that came with the rockler "kit", but had a couple break loose during milling, so tried some Loctite "sumo" glue, which I think is a foaming poly glue, that stuff seems to hold pretty well, the bottle is a bit of a pain to work with and it's messy, so I'm always open to suggestions.

Going to be turning my first cigars tommorow, tubes are drying tonight

potter

i'm not realy glad, to be not alone with this problem. The fit of the tubes is often bad. But i'm afraid, when i use CA in the tube, to get a better fit, that is only a solution for the moment. When the customer changes the refill, the CA will flake of....i think...

GBusardo

Originally posted by Kadmos
<br />I'll make sure I wait a couple days on that.

I forsee a milling problem if I just glue some extra material to the end of the blank...well I'll give it some thought and do some searching, but if anyone has more suggestions, keep them comming, thanks guys

Your right! There could be a milling problem, but the problem usually arises on how thick (top to bottom of pen)the band turns out. That takes some thought. i don't think I have ever had a drilling or turning problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom