Correct speed to drill at?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigguyZ

OK, so I'm ready to begin another run of building kits- probably doing 20-30 at a time (running through each stage at one time for all of the kits).

Currently, I drill on the lathe with a scroll chuck and drill chuck in the tailstock. What speed should I use for wood and acrylic? I've always thought I got better results with faster speeds, but a few recent comments on the board made me think I should rethink my methods.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

IMHO slower is better. Some many woods are prone to cracking from heat. Quite a few of the different "plastics" will also melt if enough heat is produced. I always set my lathe at the lowest speed when drilling (500 rpm) and have good results at that speed.
Mike

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
You will get just as many conflicting suggestions on this topic as you do when you ask the correct method of applying a CA finish!

I drill EVERYTHING at 1,800 rpm and have never had a blow out. I do not do any of the special things some recommend such as cutting longer and not drilling all the way through, etc. I do use a drill press, though. I mount my blanks and start drilling. I do remove the bit very frequently to clear chips, though.

I feel that faster drilling helps the chips move through the flutes better rather than getting compacted. Just my observation, though.

kkbulldog

I drill slower for acrylics (500 rpm) to avoid heat buildup, and faster (1,500 - 2,000 rpm) for wood. Either way, I frequently back out the bit to clear chips.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You will get just as many conflicting suggestions on this topic as you do when you ask the correct method of applying a CA finish!

I drill EVERYTHING at 1,800 rpm and have never had a blow out. I do not do any of the special things some recommend such as cutting longer and not drilling all the way through, etc. I do use a drill press, though. I mount my blanks and start drilling. I do remove the bit very frequently to clear chips, though.

I feel that faster drilling helps the chips move through the flutes better rather than getting compacted. Just my observation, though.

Knowing Curtis as well as I think I do, I suspect his bits are VERY sharp. I WISH I could get my bits very sharp, but I don't seem to have the technique. I suspect the correct answer lies in speed AND sharpness(?).

We mere mortals run about 1000 rpm and cut off the ends without attempting an "clean exit wound".

leehljp

Member Liaison
As Curtis said, it will come down to differing opinions. I have a pict below of the speeds in soft pine. It is easy to see that the faster speed produces smoother cuts, and there is a reason for that - "speed" cuts; "slow" catches. Slow works fine only in proportion to the sharpness, tolerance of the drill, and firmness of the grip on the wood or other material.

There are optimal speeds for different woods and materials for the kind of bit that is used. Also, as mentioned above, heat is an enemy to some, and the answer is not necessarily slower speed - but smaller bites and frequency of bites.

1_Drill_Bit_Speed.png

Last edited:

Rifleman1776

As said, heat is your enemy. I drill at about 550 rpm for almost everything on my drill press. For your high production, a lathe seems like an clumsy way to go. If you have one, try the drill press.

Top Bottom