Is this corny?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I have learned that if it can be put on the lathe and the tools cut into it we can turn just about anything...
Now the problem here is how do we mount the corn onto the tubes... MMMMM.. maybe very course grinding and molding them like some of the acrylics... making sure to leave the shells and all in large pieces... kind of like those pens made from sunflower seed husks...
Anyone willing to give this a try... I don't have the time or equipment... actually I might have the equipment.. my FIL has an antique feed grinder that would work.. LOL.. just don't have the time or knowhow to do the molding process...

Fred in NC

You are very right, Tom! Anything that can be put in the lathe can be cut into pens.

I will be retiring at the end of the year, and already have some projects in mind. Corny pens is one of them. Maybe a combination of cob in the lower barrel and kernels in the upper, with a husky case . . .

P.S. My sense of humor is usually affected during the holiday season.

William Young

Fred ;
Corny subjects are just great now and again. Perhaps scrape all the corn off and make a corn mush and then press it to form it and get the moisture out and allow to dry.
Only problem with that is that you would have to be carefull of your timing in the mush stage because if it started to ferment , you may be tempted to drink the 'squeezings' instead of discarding them and then you may have a little problem of trying to find your lathe .
Hee , Hee,
W.Y.

jimr

I suggest you pour out a puddle of epoxy, sprinkle it with corn kernels, wrap it up tight with duct tape and let it dry. Then turn and you will have a "Colonel Duck" pen!

Gary Max

You make a form out of wood to pour it in. After it drys and you can't get the dang form off---just mount the whole thing in the lathe.
I figure a good hammer and a burlap sack would take care of the grinding.
Did I mention that I live in Kentucky

wayneis

You could always get some clear acrylic, use the copper tubing mold, dump in a hand full of corn kernels and then let it set up and voyla', we got us a corn kernel blank or maybe a Capt. Kernel Blank.

Oh boy I'm tired and my brain just farted, it's off to never never land for this one,

Wayne

G

Along the same lines,
The first time I turned bloodwood and saw the pile of red shavings on the lathe table I looked all ove my hands to see where I had cut myself.
My wife was away at the time and I was worried who who drive me to the hospital.
Well as you nay guess I wasn't mortally wounded but was fascinated by the color of the shavings.
I went into the house and got a gallon plastic food saver bag and swept up all the shavings for later use.(What I don't know)
When I mentioned my incedent to a friend he brought over 2 one gallon cotainers of 2 part epoxy clear coat.( the stuff they use for table tops.)
To make a long story short,If you pour an epoxy,sawdust mixture into a half quart milk carton it will rise like a square volcano and be hollow in the middle.
I did pour some into a smaller form and turned a blank.
It was riddled with air holes.
I have since tried other substances but wind up with air holes.
I imagine the material you are trying to embed should be solid as the air will be trapped as the resin cures.
I still have 2 unopened containers of the mix and will probably continue to experiment.
As a side note,someone posted a picture of a pen tuned with some type of grain embedded in some type of resin a couple of months back but I don't know where I saw it.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Eaglesc
<br />Along the same lines,
The first time I turned bloodwood and saw the pile of red shavings on the lathe table I looked all ove my hands to see where I had cut myself.
My wife was away at the time and I was worried who who drive me to the hospital.
Well as you nay guess I wasn't mortally wounded but was fascinated by the color of the shavings.
I went into the house and got a gallon plastic food saver bag and swept up all the shavings for later use.(What I don't know)
When I mentioned my incedent to a friend he brought over 2 one gallon cotainers of 2 part epoxy clear coat.( the stuff they use for table tops.)
To make a long story short,If you pour an epoxy,sawdust mixture into a half quart milk carton it will rise like a square volcano and be hollow in the middle.
I did pour some into a smaller form and turned a blank.
It was riddled with air holes.
I have since tried other substances but wind up with air holes.
I imagine the material you are trying to embed should be solid as the air will be trapped as the resin cures.
I still have 2 unopened containers of the mix and will probably continue to experiment.
As a side note,someone posted a picture of a pen tuned with some type of grain embedded in some type of resin a couple of months back but I don't know where I saw it.

Anybody who does vacuum stabilizing can put the epoxy under a vacuum and the air bubbles will migrate out. At work we do this all the time for mil-spec jobs.

Mudder

G

I tried that once.
The result was the solutionfoamed up over teh mold.
Since I figured I idn't have too much more open time I cleaned up the mess and just let it sit.
Any suggestions as to how to do this on a small scale in a gallon jar?

Fred in NC

Just thinking, ok? Never tried it. . .

Epoxy is two part. Divide the dry stuff in two parts, and mix each with one of the epoxy parts SEPARATELY. Let the air come out, and combine the two parts then ?

Casting acrylic might be a better solution... if I remember correctly, they have several kinds of additives, including antifoam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom