Corncob Penturning

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer

Can anyone tell me if there are any articles or videos out there that will help teach a very new pen turner how to turn a corncob pen? If not is there anyone in the Midwest that has turned them and would give me a lesson on turning them?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

byounghusband

David,
I believe there was an article in Woodturning Design a year or two ago. I will see if I can find it and let you know.
As far as turning a corn cob pen, it is not as bad as it might seem. Go to Tractor Supply and buy a bag of feed corn. A 10 lb. bag costs less than $5.00. Break off all the kernals and do with them as you please. Cut and drill the cob just like any other blank, then glue in the tube. Thick CA or Gorilla Glue, both work just fine.
On the lathe, turn the fuzz off of the blank. Soak it with Thin CA. Make sure you have a <b>FULL FACE SHIELD</b> on. DAMHIKT!!![B)]
You can hit it with a little accelerator, but I did not.
Turn it down some and hit it again with Thin CA.
Continue this process until you get to the shape you want. BTW, I like Cigar Pens best for corn cob.

I also use a little Yellow aneline dye on a Q-tip after sanding before any finish. I use CA for a finish on my corn cob pens.

Good luck!!

its_virgil

Here's another one. Probably the first one...and right here in our own IAP library! http://content.penturners.org/articles/2004/corncobpen.pdf

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Boomer

Thank you all so much for the help.. Even though I have only turned just a few slimlines. I am excited about turning other pens. I had seen somewhere that some one had turned a corncob pen and it just seemed like the next item to continue my knowledge and help build my turning abilities to another level. Thanks again

Dave

its_virgil

I've decided that the cigar pen works best for a corncob pen. I turned several for slimlines and then moved to the cigar. They really look nice. The Woodturning Design article used the streamline slimline from Berea Hardwoods and they looked nice. Arizona Silhouette and Beartooth Woods both resell Berea kits. Be sure to show us a picture of your corncob rendition.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Boomer
<br />Thank you all so much for the help.. Even though I have only turned just a few slimlines. I am excited about turning other pens. I had seen somewhere that some one had turned a corncob pen and it just seemed like the next item to continue my knowledge and help build my turning abilities to another level. Thanks again

Dave

Bob,
Being a Texan, I would think you would know the proper terminology for "breaking off the kernals" is "shelling"... you sit with a bucket between your feet, take an already shelled corncob and rub it against the kernals of the new cob to shell the corn right off the cob....[}:)][:D][}:)][;)]
But first you have to shuck it. [:D]

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
Boomer,
I'll second what others have said about using the bigger pens. I have turned Sierra's with corn cob and that worked well. Cigars do well. I turned a "comfort" slimline pen and discovered that the barrel is too small and you get past the corn and into the cob and it looks terrible. So, I would suggest staying with the bigger pens. I use treated cobs and have less tear out but if you used the ca like has been suggested then that should work just fine. I sell all corn cob pens that I make without a problem. Good luck!

byounghusband

Bob,
Being a Texan, I would think you would know the proper terminology for "breaking off the kernals" is "shelling"... you sit with a bucket between your feet, take an already shelled corncob and rub it against the kernals of the new cob to shell the corn right off the cob....
But first you have to shuck it.

Chuck,
Well color me a transplant. [:p] I'm not originally from these here parts....

As a matter of fact, it was on a Halloween night that I "shelled" the corn. I "shelled" it into a bowl and told my daughter to hand the results out instead of candy to the Trick-or-Treater.....[}:)][}:)]

Thanks for the lesson in "corn-speak" [:D]

Boomer

Thanks all for the information. I will take the advise and get some larger pen kits. I also living in the Midwest have several places to get corncobs. Thanks for the offer anyway. I need all the help and experience I can get. Thanks to all for the help.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom