Corn Cobs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi to All, Epically Cob turners,
Just got a few stabilized cobs, but they are still the drab red. So how do I go about staining them, and what kind of stain do I use??????
Help this is a first for me.[?]
Just Charlie & Betsy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

They're red now, but the deeper you turn them, the more neutral they become.

I'm not sure how the stabilized pens do when colored. I dont know if what they used to stabilize it will block absorption of the dye. May have to ask around.

I like the dyed ones. Go to the local Michael's craft store and pick up some 'Dy Na Flow' dye. I tried Rit dye last time and hated it. People also use 'Aniline' dye for this.

Oh, and keep your tools as sharp as possible while turning these.

DocStram

I agree with Skye about using Dy Na Flow dye. The last time I used it I applied it with a rag and then tried a paper towel. Next time, I'll think I'll try a cotton swab like a Que Tip. I found it a little difficult to get the coloring on all of the cob. That's why I'm thinking of swabbing it and working in the dye on the hard parts of the cob. The CA glue after the Dy Na Flow seemns to be the real trick.

So far I have used nonstabilized cobs with good success. I have some stablized cobs that I haven't turned yet. I'm not so certain how well the stabilized will take the Dy Na Flow. Maybe somebody out there knows the answer.

Al

Skye

Doc, I wouldent try a qtip, not while the lathe is running anyhow. There's a lot of fibers in a Qtip that'll hop off onto the pen or be pulled off by the coase grain. How about a piece of the plastic bag the parts come in? Some people apply CA with them for the same reason.

Skye

The first and only cobs I turned werent stabilized. I used plain field corn bought at walmart, a sharp round nose, turned it a bit till it got to a rough shape, used a real course sandpaper and shaped it. It's kind of a sissy way out, but it worked and avoided any blowouts.

I dont have a portfolio, so just check my thread: http://www.thepenshop.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1122&PN=1&TPN=1

The red one is RIT dye, which partialy didnt work because of my own fault. Partialy just because I didnt like it. The other one is just plain cob with a CA finish.

Rochester

I have turned several cob pens. I don't stabilize the entire cob. After I have glued in the tube I coat the ends with CA and then begin to turn. Sharp tools and a very light touch work best. After I have the basic shape I also use 60 grit sandpaper to finish the shaping. As I get closer to the final size I do put a coat of CA on and then begin to move to smaller grits. I finish with several coats of CA, sanding between each one to smooth out the rough spots. I finish with MM and buff. I do get an ocasional blow-out but this system seems to work for me. Hope this helps.

Rochester

Hi All,
Thanks for all the in put. John thanks for the link it went right in to my favorites lol. Not going over board on cobs,but would like to do a few for my country freinds [:)] so thanks again.
Just Charlie [:eek:)] & Betsy [:X]

low_48

Charlie, here's a post from the past where I talked about staining corn cobs and posted a pic for comparisons.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=4619&SearchTerms=stained,corn,cob

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom