Corn cobs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

smoky10

Today I turned my first corn cob pen. It didn't turn out too good and had little shine:(. As I would turn it I would soak it with thin ca, let it dry and turn some more[xx(]. When I would get past the ca I would do it over again. What could I use besides the ca to stabilize the cob? That stuff takes my breath[V]. What could I use for the finish? I used lacquer with Huts Crystal Coat.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

I hsave turned quite a few corncob pens and the CA works great for me. Luckily the fumes don't bother me but I hear my day is coming. You might try cutting a d drilling and turning with loose tubes down past the "fuzzy part" and into the cob. remove the tubes and soak the cobs in polyurathane (a mason jar with lid) for a couple fo days; taike them ouyt and let them dry for a couple of days. Maybe try the vacuum if you have that capability. There is excellent article on this site (by Patricia Lawson) giving instructions for turning corncob pens. Good luck and...
Do a good turn daily!
Don

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Check these posts out. A slightly different method, but the results were excellent. http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1019&SearchTerms=corn,cob

G

Lowes carries a product made by Bondo called wood hardner.
I have found a belt sander removes the outer fuzz pretty good.Be carful to sand uniformly.
Drill and soak.
The good thing about the wood hardner is that it is acetone based and dries quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom