SAM_0009.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 550
  • 09_11_2011_05_06_57.jpg
    09_11_2011_05_06_57.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 327
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David M

Also like the ones with the wood .
Most of the ones I do are on larger size kit , mostly cigars, that way there is more of the outter part showing ( not cutting into the center pith ). I coat the blank with med ca when its close to size and rub in some of the fillings / dust in the voids . Sand ond apply a few coats of med ca .After it sands smooth long way with blank , I do the thin ca finnish.
David

Old Lar

Nice job on those corn cobs. I like the wood on the end as well. I have never done slims as the cobs that I use are too big and I run out of meat. I find they sell pretty well too.

firewhatfire

When I do them as slim lines pens I use pencil cobs. They work well for smaller pens. I use the larger kits for large cobs. I also decal some of them with tractor logo's.

Last edited:

low_48

I use the european kits for my corn cob pens. The best cobs I have found are from a hybrid waxy corn. The cobs are white in color, but are more red after the chaff is turned off. I also experimented with dying the cob to show a better contrast. This one was a solid color dye.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/dyed-corn-cob-10401/
I've also applied a dark mahogany dye, then sanded it back to show a little natural color. This accents the difference from the soft part of the cob and the kernel pockets. I had trouble with the ends blowing off when I first started. Now I take the blank off the mandrel when it is about 1/8" diameter oversize. I slide a small dowel into the tubes to be able and hold it, then saturate the cob with thin CA. I only turn with a skew, and never turn from the inside out. Always from the bushing towards the center.

ashur

The best cobs, I've found, can be gotten at the pet store. We have a PetSmart and a PetCo close that have packages of very small cobs for pet feed (Hamsters and such). I use regular inkjet ink (I suppose that any ink would do) to soak them in, then dry and turn, using CA most of the way through the process. Finely I finish the pen with a buffed out coat of CA.

I carry a throw-around pen, that I made this way about 3 years ago, in my pants pocket every day and it still looks almost like new.... except for the pen plating.

Al

Top Bottom