Corn cob kit recommendations?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gomeral

I've got the opportunity to earn a commission by presenting a sample corn cob pen with a company logo. I'd like input on the best kits to consider for this, and also on whether anyone's laser engraved and color filled a corn cob before.

As far as the cob and engraving goes, assume a stabilized cob. As far as the kit goes, I'd like something that is quality, but not too expensive. The goal is a company pen that would be given as a gift to executives of customer companies.

Thanks in advance for any input, and yes - I'm poring through the archives looking at pens and learning what people have done. I'm also lazy enough to ask for input up front. :wink:

daniel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

My favorite pen for corn cobs is the cigar. Chrome is an excellent inexpensive choice but makes a really nice pen. Another excellent choice would be the Perfect Fit Convertible. I don't use stabilized cobs nor colored cobs so I'm no help there. I'm almost sure that laser engraving is possible on stabilized or unstabilized cobs. Good luck with whatever choice you make.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I've got the opportunity to earn a commission by presenting a sample corn cob pen with a company logo. I'd like input on the best kits to consider for this, and also on whether anyone's laser engraved and color filled a corn cob before.
daniel

rherrell

Believe it or not my favorite kit for corn is the Atlas. It's nice and fat, one piece and shows off the corn real well.
IMO when you turn corn down on the ends of a "skinny" pen it gets ugly.
I especially like the Satin Gold plating if I leave the corn "natural" but I dye most of my corn with food coloring so I like chrome for that. A little yellow dye makes "natural" seem MORE "natural" by the way.
Because I dye most of it I don't use ANY CA to stabilize while turning. Go slow and easy. I put the CA on after the dye has dried.

low_48

I'm pretty sure that the laser engraving will need to be filled to be seen. When you burn in and out of the kernel pockets, the depth will vary, and it will be tough to see what it even says.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I use the Long clicks from Aaron and yes have had them engraved. I tried gold color fill........uh not so much a good idea. I would say use black colorfill on a natural cob, probably a dyed one as well unless it a dark color, them would go silver fill with a chrome kit.

OldWrangler

I wonder what this company is thinking in giving nice handmade pens to executives and then choosing corn cob?

Any time one of my corp. customers wants something for gifts to impress, they select something like Antler, Buffalo horn, Alligator, Cocobolo and even did 12 of the Texas Flag kit. No requests for corn cobs yet. There must be some kind of tie-in for that company.

I'll agree with whoever said to use the Sierra. Just one barrel to turn, nothing to match up in color or pattern and plenty big and showy. You could always dress it up with thin spacers at either ends of the cob out of Turquoise (Trustone), Ebony or something to fancy the cob up.

Top Bottom