Corn Cob Help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I was given a bunch of field corn to make into pens. What I am asking is how do I prep the cob for turning. Also is there a different prep for the cob that the kernals were enjoyed by me and my family (delicious)?

Thanks
John

its_virgil

Check the library for an article outlining how to make the corn cob pen. Look in year 2004 and the article was written by Pat Lawson. The cobs must be dry so the one left over from dinner need to dry but I can't tell you how long. I'vel only used well dried field corn that I purchased from the pet supply depts of variuous dept stores. Stabilizled cobs are also available from several suppliers.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

I was given a bunch of field corn to make into pens. What I am asking is how do I prep the cob for turning. Also is there a different prep for the cob that the kernals were enjoyed by me and my family (delicious)?

Thanks
John

low_48

First, you'll have to do a sort to get cobs that will work. You will want the cobs that have a white soft center that is about the size of the tube. If the center is too big, you will turn through the good stuff, and not have a pen at all. I bore out the center by holding the cob in a pair of pliers, and let the drill follow the soft core. A vise may hold it off center and then you will turn through the kernel pockets too. I use medium CA to glue in the tube. After the tube is in and before trimming, I soak the ends with thin CA. The ends carry the danger of blowout. Be careful here, the cobs are like sponges and thin CA will travel all the way through. Gloves are a must. Then I trim and use a skew to turn. When I get to the last 1/16", I take the blanks off the mandrel, slide them over a wood dowel, and do a final soak with thin CA. I don't use accelerator on that coat since I want it to soak all the way to the tube. Then it's back to the mandrel and final turning. It may take some filling with medium CA to fill some odd kernel pockets that did not turn smoothly. Good Luck!!!!

Top Bottom