Corn Cob help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

Okay, so I ventured again outside my arena. Here is a pic of a Gent jr cob blanks I cut last night, first ones. Disregard the dye & coloring, after I knew this was going nowwhere, I just started to experiment with oil & dyes.

One side of the corn is smooth and achieved the correct pattern, while the other side is pitty. I ran out of material to cut.

I missed the exact center hole not by much, less than a 64th. So do you think the cob was just to small to make this size of pen?

Tom makes cigar pens which are almost the size of a jr. Do cobs come big & small?

Anyway, this is neat stuff, I am going back to the shop tonight & try it again. Only will try a smaller pen kit and see what happens.

I still think I can dye this stuff to look like snake skin.

Thanks for any input.

2004112412227_Dsc00892.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Anthony,
Cobs are large, small, or even oval. probably the most inconsistant material we can use. Almost always I will get some open kernel pockets. That's the biggest reason I use multiple coats of CA for a finish. It can fill the pockets. I tried some natural wood filler before putting on the dye, but wasn't too happy with that either. I'm still experimenting as well. Looks to me that you are well on the way. Try the BLO CA to fill the pockets.

Rich

PenWorks

Yeh Rich, I was going to fill in, but I wanted the same cernal look all the way. I just came up for a breather and coffee. I was drilling buffalo horn & elk, My shop is airing out now. I will be back tomarrow and hopefully will have a cob pen, I tried a 7mm tube this time in a twist pen.

PenWorks

Well you won't see this tomarrow. Just blew up on the lathe. My hat goes off to you cob makers. Not as easy to work with. 0 for 2. I might end up cutting that whole darn bag, before I get a pen!

RT, be happy you didn't get yours. LOL I would have kept at it tonight, but it was one of those nights, when everything you touched, went wrong. Time to turn out the lights.

WoodChucker

Ouch, I hate days like that, but I'm sure you'll come up with a winner before the fat lady sings. [:D] Thanks for sharing your pain, it lets me know I'm not the only one that has days like that.

R.T.

G

Repeated applications of CA while turning willcut down on the blow outs but won't completely stop them.
You might want to try rotted wood stabilizer by Bondo.
You can get that in the paint department at Lowes.

low_48

This is how I turn the cobs, maybe it will help. I glue the tubes in with thick CA. I really saturate the ends with thin CA just after gluing in the tubes and hit it with accelerator. It sounds like deep frying a turkey (seasonal descriptor) when the accelerator hits it because the cob really soaks up the CA. I turn the lathe up to 2200 RPM or so and only work from the ends into the center. Once all the chaff is turned off and the diameter is within 1/8" of final, I put thin CA over the entire cob. Hit with accelerator again. Now final turn and sand. I really move slowly for the last 1/8" and I use a skew to turn. If you are using a gouge, really take light cuts. With the gouge, still turn from the ends into the center. The ends are the most fragile of course.

I think that last hit with thin CA will help with your success. It soaks all the way in and helps bind the cob to the brass one last time.
Good Luck, Rich

Don't worry about blowing them up, more will be on the way if you have too much trouble. This is supposed to be FUN! I hate it when I have to worry about saving material. When I put a big burl on the lathe the stress goes up for a little while. I would much rather turn firewood and found wood, no stress in turning at all!

PenWorks

Thanks, More CA, more CA, & then more CA. I think I got it. I was a little agressive last night on my cutting. I can not tell a lie, I wash rushing it. I had orders I was working on, and tried to squeeze this in. I am going to shelf this project until after the holidays, I am way to far behind.

I am not worried about blowing thru the cob either, it's the elk & buffalo horn I screwed up last night as well. I have to try and save them tonight. Happy Holidays

wpenm

I have tried turning cob as well, with no luck. I used what seemed like pints of CA. The fumes were enough to fill the shop. Maybe I'll try again another day. I agree, it's for fun and relaxation, and Anthony I don't just have bad days, I have bad weeks! Good luck with your projects.
Garry

G

I will agree that a lot of CA is used on corn cobs,but I am wondering also if a lighter touch and a sharper tool wouldn't improve your attemps.(No one imparticular)
I use a wood hardner to speed up the turning process because I make so many of them but I made quite a few without stabilizing them prior to using the hardner.
I regularly use a skew on them with out any mishaps.
The skew also cuts down on sanding but it has to be sharp.

low_48

I agree. When I started, I used alot more CA than I do now. All I do now is set the ends with thin CA. I switched to the oval cross section style of skew and couldn't be happier! I hone it with an 800 grit water stone just like I would a hand plane iron. It makes beautiful curls and with almost no cutting forces put to the cob.

Rich

PenWorks

Happy Thanksgiving All. All I want for Christmas is a "corn cob pen" But it might have to wait till after the holidays. I love the challenge. And thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom