Corn Cob Drying?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

lawry76

Well, you did it to me again. I am going to try the HF vacuum pump and make some corn cob pens. I have read the posts and think I can do it. I bought some (cobs) from RTJW and they worked well but I want to give it a go on my own. Here is the question. I had a friend give me some cobs that were in his front yard. Squirrels empty about a cob a day and he sent me home with @10 of them. (cobs not squirrels!) They have been on the grass thru one rain (the only one this summer!) and the morning dew. Does the fact that they are going to be stabilized make their moisture content irrelevant or should I dry them first? Obviously I am in a hurry and would love to skip that step, but I'd also rather have an honest answer. Thanks again.

its_virgil

Commercial stabilizers only stabilize dry wood. I assume the same rules would apply to corn cobs. I have made maybe 30 corn cob pens and do not stabilize or buy stabilized cobs. I've seen no reason to. Dried cobs are very hard and a good CA soaking or two seems to do the trick. But, then again, your choice. Good luck and let us see the final results.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by lawry76
<br />Well, you did it to me again. I am going to try the HF vacuum pump and make some corn cob pens. I have read the posts and think I can do it. I bought some (cobs) from RTJW and they worked well but I want to give it a go on my own. Here is the question. I had a friend give me some cobs that were in his front yard. Squirrels empty about a cob a day and he sent me home with @10 of them. (cobs not squirrels!) They have been on the grass thru one rain (the only one this summer!) and the morning dew. Does the fact that they are going to be stabilized make their moisture content irrelevant or should I dry them first? Obviously I am in a hurry and would love to skip that step, but I'd also rather have an honest answer. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom