Corn Cob Blank Help Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

A friend of mine loves corn cob pens. I have never turned one and I am not particularly interested in making them part of my common pens. I was wondering if there are any suppliers out there that sell them dyed and stabilized for pens. I will be very grateful for your assistance in this. This will be a Christmas gift!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Johnny has some real nice stabilized cobs... personally, I don't care for them dyed... I like the look of the natural cob... I think it has more character..

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
corn cob, ca glue, magic marker.
Experiment!
Oh yeah, and the desired components of choice.[:D]
200577222951_ruffcoblinda.jpg

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Eagle quote: "corn cob, ca glue, magic marker.
Experiment!"

Slight amendment-CA glue should be there FIFTEEN TIMES!!!!!
When you hit the tenth coat (as I did) and it still feels rough (as mine did), now you won't have to find out you're only 66% of the way there!! (as I did).

That was WITHOUT dying questions.
[:0][:0][:0]

alamocdc

Or you could do what I did and stabilize them yourself. Doesn't require as much CA that way. [:D] I wonder if Russ' stabilization method w/white glue would work on corn cobs? HHMMMM! I may have to try that next time.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ok, eagle, I'll reread your tutorial. I AM still learning on corncobs, but I sold the 5 I had this weekend, so by next weekend, I'll be better.

Please read in hushed tones, as in whispering to oneself:
(HHHMMMMMMmmmmm, Eagle says wrong viscosity. Eagle's done this a lot. Maybe I'll experiment with different viscosities........hmmmmmmm.)[^][^][^]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I do stabilize my cobs ed, but those that you saw were done in a rush the "hard way" with CA.
Thin to seal, sand, thick to fill.
Clean with compressed air in between grits.
Works for me![:D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
OK, everyone. The trend is broken!!! Eagle speaks-a "tutorial" of sorts.

See, he isn't really a bad guy.

Oh, Thanks for the help, Eagle-not only in this case but in many prior conversations! I HAD forgotten about the air. Thanks again!

its_virgil

This is in the articles section of this web site.

How to make a corn cob pen. by Patricia Lawson. Pat's instructions work ...same way I make 'em. I use the cigar kit and dye the cob with yellow aniline dye mixed at 50% strength. I've used other colors and don't care for them. But the yellow dye add just the right touch,,,IMHO....I also like them natural..no dye. They are neat pens and sell very well for me.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

hello jim,

this is my first post here and hope to post more. here's what i use to get a successful corn cob pen. drill the center. i then soak my cob pieces in a product by minwax high performance wood hardener. after a 24hr soak. i let it dry 24hr and while i'm turning i use ca thin. i have never been able to do a 7mm but i have done a presidental pen.
thanks for all the info i've read

laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom