Corn cob "emergency"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Of course, emergency is as overused as crisis, but here's the story (short version).

Thanksgiving weekend I had a run on corn-cob pens. Sold out.

Monday too tired to think, so Tuesday called rrwhite for IMMEDIATE shipment-USPS had already left for the day, will get out tomorrow. I will be setting up a show Wed anyhow, so Thurs is fine (actually Friday ok too!) Package shows up Friday (USPS took 2 days to travel about 200 miles)

NOW, for the REAL news! Friday night I turned 2 corncob pens. Some of you may remember I posted 15 coats of CA to make a decent corncob-well that was NOT THESE corncobs!!!

They were exceptionally hard, the kernals were very well filled in, turning required a SHARP skew to make ANYTHING happen and light cuts were all I could muster with my best efforts. BUT, two coats of CA and I had a finished pen!!!

I strongly recommend these cobs. Steve must have found a way to REALLY saturate the cobs. They have no "mushy" spots and the process was as simple as turning any other HARD wood.

I have not turned cobs from other sources, so this is not meant to denigrate ANYONE. I am, however, really impressed with how easily these cobs turn into nice pens!

Thanks Steve!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bdar

Serge, I just had a look at the site, they come in 2 1/2" unmatched blanks. Natural, 1 to 4, $4.50, 5 to 29, $3.50 and 30+, $3.00 each. Coloured 1 to 4, $5.25, 5 to 29, $4.25 and 30+, $3.50 each.

Darren

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Size-wize they are about strong 1/4" to 3/8" pith. Steve asked me what style pen I usually made, I told him the cigar-don't know if that had anything to do with his selection. Drilled 2 more last night, will turn tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom