Corn Cob "Die"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

coach

I just turned a corn cob Euro. When the shape was right, I sanded some until it was smooth. Then, I used a yellow sharpie to dye it. Now I was going to use CA to fill in the voids. As soon as the glue hit the cob, it turned blood red! I went ahead and covered the whole thing figuring I would sand it down and see what I have. The question is: Did I mix up some steps? Should I CA and be ready for finish before I use the sharpie? Will the sharpie color over CA? Thanks for any info. If it is dry, I am going to start sanding soon.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kevin M

Coach...I sand my cobs for a smooth or semi-smooth feel and color with Crayola brand markers, let dry for 3-4 hours and apply a deft spray lacquer. I have never had one change color with the deft application but have read where others have had this happen when using "sharpie" markers and ca.

hmmmmm..... interesting. I tried a multi-colored sharpie pen this weekend...and as soon as Mike put the CA on it, ALL the yellow parts turned red. Ruined the whole thing. Perhaps the CA is where the problem lies. Not sure if this really applies...but thought I'd share, just in case.

CLH

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Part of the pigment in yellow dye for Sharpie brand markers is copper. When cyanide interacts with the copper, the copper creates a reddish oxide. Not all brands or yellow markers contain copper, so not all will react with CA in this manner.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by coach
<br />I just turned a corn cob Euro. When the shape was right, I sanded some until it was smooth. Then, I used a yellow sharpie to dye it. Now I was going to use CA to fill in the voids. As soon as the glue hit the cob, it turned blood red! I went ahead and covered the whole thing figuring I would sand it down and see what I have. The question is: Did I mix up some steps?
It doesn't sound like it
Should I CA and be ready for finish before I use the sharpie?
That depends
Will the sharpie color over CA?To a certain extent
Thanks for any info. If it is dry, I am going to start sanding soon.
From my experience Alcohol based markers will not penetrate into CA (plastic) They will cover OVER the CA but then run when additional CA is added for the finish.I have noted on some cobs that the Ca used while gluing the tubes sometimes penetrates the area of the cob I am trying to color.This not only happens on the ends but will sometimes seep through the body of the cob.When you think of it,what are we trying to accomplish when we are stabilizing with Ca or anything else for that matter?We are trying to solidify the material we are turning by adding plastic.
What I have done is add a coat of BLO after coloring but before adding the finish coat of CA.Mixed results with this.
Another thing I haven't tried but based on something I recall when I was a kid.
We used to draw on out "T"shirts with magic markers.When washed they would fade and bleed.Eventually my mom would soak them in vinegar prior to washing.That would "set" the colors.
I only mention that because it worked on our "T"'s.I haven't tried it because I like the "rainbow" effect I am getting and try to use it to my best advantage, I am not crazy about the solid "dyed" cob pens and I am sure there are those who are not crazy about the "Rainbow" ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom