Cork?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMadore

I build flyfishing rods and usually have a supply of cork lying around.

I'm skeptical, but still wondering if it would work.... Anybody ever try a cork pen? Should I save myself the aggrivation and move on?

Thanks,

Cheers!

Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Seeing Rich's pen and the note, opens some ideas.

The wine cork angle could make the pen have quite a story.

I know Rich takes pride in making pens that are light in weight. Yet, he reinforced the cork with metal. PROBABLY a reason.

You COULD reinforce with CA, but the cork texture would be lost.

Just thinking out "keyboard".

jttheclockman

Now there you go. You just made my to do list longer again. I have to stop coming here. I can't even get enough time to sleep. Going to have to try that.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I like Rich's description of the source: "The cork had been stored a few years in Chianti, Maldec and Cabernet Sauvignon bottles before I liberated it."

workinforwood

I've seen a few people with cork pens. From what I remember, they are a bear to turn. Very prone to "pull-out". This was all before skoggers and woodchucks which might make a big difference. Last one I saw was basically sanded or filed to shape. Someone had suggested using an xacto knife to help shape it which sounded good to me. I've seen on Discovery the making of cork fishing handles and they just used a gouge and or a skew, but fishing handles are bigger and thicker than pens. The type of cork is sure to play a role as well. cork boards seem to be more like chipboard..multitudes of pieces of cork glued together and thus easy to tear out chunks, but the cork you have might be more suited to the task. Give it a whirl.

GaryMadore

I only use a rasp and sandpaper to shape my grips; I can't imagine taking a chisel to cork, as all I can think is that chunks would be flying off at a rapid rate (much like when I try to turn cross-cut Zebrawood (grin))

The cork we use for fishing handles is generally very expensive - up to $3 for a 1/2" thick ring. You can use the various burls and so on but you have to back it up (on the ends) with regular cork, else it'll flake off.

There's also a "rubberized" cork available. I've never tried it, but I am going to get my mitts on some and try it out - probably as trim.

A lot of us (barring giant bulk purchases) get our cork from Mudhole:

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Cork-Rings_2

Cheers!

Gary

evanslmtd

Gary
I too build custom fly rods and also have a lot of cork at my disposal. However, I prefer turning my Cork Pens out Burl cork rather than the specie variety. Below is a photo of a CSUSA Gold Clicker Pen turned from Burl Cork.

ClickerPen-10KGold-BurlCork.jpg

evanslmtd

Gary
Thanks for the kind words about the Pen. That's a very poor photo, the Pen looks a lot nicer in real life.
Yep, the end pieces are "rubberized" cork. I use the same set-up on my rod grips (end pieces are rubberized" cork), as that's where the most damage occurs to a grip. I've also turned quite a few Sierra's out of Burl Cork. IMO, they look good and wear well.

Nickfff

Hello, I have made a cork pen from wine corks. The challenge I found was drilling. I drilled a hole and it "pinched" turned out to be alot smaller, so you may want to experiment with driller larger then needed. I finished with alot of ca.

Nick

bruce119

I've made several I used to make fishing rods and have a bunch of old busted rods. I take the cork from old rods and recuse the them. It's not easy cork is tricky to work with. I use a very sharp skew with a scraping action on the highest speed possible. Then sand to final size. I've used a CA finish and a natural cork sealer like a fishing rod.

Here's a photo of one I made it has a CA finish next to a bowing ball pen.

BB_cork.jpg

Bruce

Top Bottom