Corian Pen Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jenamison

I recently got into a bidding war on ebay for pen blanks that were pre drilled. I don't know if anyone on here was involved but I am wondering how difficult they are to drill. I liked his because he has several that were two toned or had several colors laid in it where it might be unique when turned. Can anyone tell me about this or if there is any where that you can purchase predrilled blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

I get corian pieces from a countertop installer as they are leftovers from jobs. Drilling them is not much different than wood. Just go slowly, clear the bit often, and make sure you are in the center of the piece as they are fairly narrow.

Good luck.

G

I don't use any water,go slow and pull the bit out often.
I also do not use a back-up block/
Haven't had any blow outs yet.
I do keep my bits sharp.
You gotta love the Drill Dr.

ashaw

I use corain alot. Do not use water as you are drilling. I have had drill bind on me when I added water. Just go slow and like everyone else was saying, pull the bit out often.
I also glue two pieces together. Just clamp them up twenty-four hours, that when you will get a seamless look.

tipusnr

My source for corian has dried up (hopefully temporary). Does anyone know of another commercial source? DuPont doesn't want to deal with a small hobbyist like me (from what I can tell). Can't blame them as there wouldn't be a lot of profit in it.

If you look on the trading posts you will see that I have some for trading. I have about 50+ blanks that I will trade for any good figured blanks. I won't be able to do much about them until next week cause I am at a friends in Colorado until Sunday and just managed to get a few minutes on his computer!

jwoodwright

Tip, I have some extra as well. I too am looking to trade... [:)]

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
2004101315928_Corian2.jpg
<br /> 32.35&nbsp;KB

pen-turners

All,
I have some of the corian laminates that Jennifer mentioned in the first post. I will post a picture of them later today and will proably trade some away. I'm looking mostly for acrylics or BB blanks.

Chris

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Like everyone else has stated - drill slow, remove bit often.

I have a variation of colors that I can turn into pen blanks and would like to trade, will have to check the colors when I get home. Anyone willing to trade looking for a paricular color..?

Thanks,
JohnPayton

tipusnr

Looks like I started something! Thanks but I've nothing left worth trading!! Luckily, I did get some corian given to me by a lovely couple in my woodturner's club last night as well as some good ideas on improving my harvesting sled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom