Corian Fairy came to visit and left a present

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete00

Corian Fairy came to visit and left a present

So now I have to figure out how to use it. After looking over past post including archive items it looks like there is no one method to drill, glue etc. which is ok. So I will go under the assumption that whatever I have been using for tools and glue may work fine. If not I try one of the other methods I have read about. However I could use some suggestion on how to thank the good fairy.

My daughter works for a kitchen and bath store, she gave me some of the outdated tiles.
Then she asked her supplier for the rest of the goodies. The only condition I need to make a pen for one of the people there. I think this is a good opportunity for future sales and stock, so im willing to a little more.

My turning and fabrication skill are a little weak. My first thought was to do some sort of pen, pencil, letter opener set that will hold business cards to be used at there desks for all the folks. I think there’s about 5-8 people.

I could glue two tiles together and put it on top of another one sort of a upside down T shape. Round everything over with a router. Route out a spot for the cards on top. I could drill holes on the top for the pen, pencil, and opener. Or mount a few pen holders made from smaller pieces on the base, or something along those lines.

Any other suggestion or comments would be helpfull.

One more thing please, at some point ill have to buy and figure the cost into a project. What is the going price for Corian pieces these days. Do you buy it by the inch, foot, pound. Where have you been getting your supply from?

Thanks…….pete

tried to put picture here but it wont let me says im not logged in.
but i managed to put a picture in my album i think.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pete00

well heres the picture i tried to upload earler...works now
im still confused........pete

20051125162822_corian2.jpg

johnson

Nice haul. I believe Woodcraft still sells corian pen blanks, so you could check their site and get an idea on prices. I have done some of it and it turns nice. Only problem I had was one of the pen tubes split when I inserted the cap. I used two part epoxy to glue it. Drill it slow. It likes to heat up.
Dale

JimGo

Nice!!! Corian is hard but turns relatively easily using standard woodworking tools. If you look at ELody21's album, you should see some of her work - if it's gone for some reason, check the Pen Maker's Guild web site for Alice Call's album. Alice will sell you Corian at a very good price.

One of the best ways to glue Corian is with CA - IIRC, it actually fuses the pieces together giving a really strong bond.

Best of luck with your Corian!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom