Corian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

thrustmonkey

Yes. It is a little rough on the tools. Will dull them kinda quick. Alot of the corian you find on E-bay is thin, but good enough to make slimlines and the like. Every once in a blue moon you can find some thicker stuff on e-bay. Or you could glue a few together to get a bigger blank and make a bigger pen.
Capt. Eddie has a couple of good vids. on glueing and working with corian. Worth checking out.
Prepping Corian for Turning - YouTube

#77 Corian Basics - YouTube

# 78 Working with Corian - YouTube

Ross

ghostrider

Yes. It is a little rough on the tools. Will dull them kinda quick. Alot of the corian you find on E-bay is thin, but good enough to make slimlines and the like. Every once in a blue moon you can find some thicker stuff on e-bay. Or you could glue a few together to get a bigger blank and make a bigger pen.
Capt. Eddie has a couple of good vids. on glueing and working with corian. Worth checking out.
Prepping Corian for Turning - YouTube

#77 Corian Basics - YouTube

# 78 Working with Corian - YouTube

Ross
I have some of the thicker stuff.

It turns dusty, and polishes up real nice. I've done several pens with it, and also some bushings. It makes nice looking pens, and lots of people like it.

Last edited:

gbpens

Corian tends to make a heavy pen. I have tried selling a few with little sucess. I now use it only as an accent. Also, the half inch thickness means you have to glue two pieces together if you cannot find the pattern you want in three quarter inch stock. Many of the solid surface products tend to come to a lighter shade when the barrel thickness gets thin on a tapered pen, especially around the nib.

LeeR

I bought some Corian blanks from someone via the Classifieds. It was pretty large in cross section (upwards of an inch -- it looked like trim pieces you use in tiling), so I just trimmed it on my band saw. I thought it was pretty easy to turn. I used a round nose scraper with some relief ground on the top edge. Polished up beautifully with MicroMesh used with water, as I do for any acrylics.

Last edited:

jjudge

Chris -

I bought a large bunch of that 1/2" corian off ebay, long ago.
Once in a while, I'll glue up some pieces and do something with it.

I had initial success in glueing (no line showing, sweet!) and, now, I can't seem to glue them w/o some showing.

Here is an example of horizontal lamination (body) with credit card slices as spacers. The cap was 2 pieces glued vertically (no seam showing!).
HPIM0447.JPG

A bit heavier (as folks posted), but I use it daily and do like this pen.

Want me to send you some, to play with? - just msg me.

-- joe

ren-lathe

I have sold a little over a dozen. Corian is only 1/2" thick without gluing up pieces there are a couple of manufacturers that make it thicker, so I have only used for slimlines.

I have turned a couple hundred corian slin line pens. They sold well at $20 &$25 A SHOT, I made one segmented pen that was gray with a 1/2" black at each end. sold it before I could show it for $55, Corian has a melting point of about 180 deg. and is plyable at about 165 or 170 and can be formed into a cylinder I heated a piece up in a toaster oven to 160 rolled the edge of it just to see if I could. Its fun to work with. I trade a pen for scraps and have about 50 colors.

jjudge

I need to find a counter-top installer ... and do that: trade pens for scraps & left-overs.

Ask for too many samples at Home Depot, and they start giving you the hairy eyeball :)

whegge

I do the trade thing with cabinet and counter top makers. There are 2 major cabinet and kitchen designers in my area. From one of them I get just about all I want from their scrap heap. About every 6 months I bring by 10 pens for them to hand out. The other charged me $20 for 10 12x12x1/2 sheets and let me pick what I wanted.

Wes

ghostrider

I need to find a counter-top installer ... and do that: trade pens for scraps & left-overs.

Ask for too many samples at Home Depot, and they start giving you the hairy eyeball :)
Don't the "hairy eyeball".

My local Woodcraft had a bunch of solid surface 12mm they sold off cheap. I also bought some from JAZNCARR (Jason), and then I have other supplies. Don't think I'll be needing any for some time. Especially since I have other blanks to turn as well (funny how pen blanks seem to multiply once people learn your making pens).

PTsideshow

I too just got my order from Jason the "CorianKing" on e bay and JAZNCARR a member here. Great to deal with. But I have a guy I have known for years, foreman in a cabinet shop. I got a bunch of off cuts and trimming 1" wide x 8' long. It snap very easily at that length,:rolleyes: I popped for a pizza for lunch for the shop crew ($20.00) I know from past experience that some people in the small shops consider the scrap theirs!

Even if they don't do any thing but pitch it into the dumpster! :wink:
Excellent material to practice on, for the per piece price.
:clown:

Top Bottom