Corian ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

(I searched the forums and the library and couldn't seem to find anything that dealt directly with this, but if I missed it I apologize for reinventing the wheel.)

Is it okay to cut Corian with a compound miter saw? I have a fairly new blade that I don't want to ruin.

Thanks for answering, just got a sample box of this stuff and want to have some fun with it.

Let me add this: Has someone done a tutorial on working with Corian or is it just like working with other materials?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
You should use carbide blades and bits, but other than that, you can work it just like wood.

loglugger

If you still have your old blade I would use it. I have cut corian with my bandsaw and can watch the sparks coming from the blade so if can't be good on a saw blade.
Bob

DozerMite

Banned
Originally posted by loglugger

If you still have your old blade I would use it. I have cut corian with my bandsaw and can watch the sparks coming from the blade so if can't be good on a saw blade.
Bob

You shouldn't get sparks from corian or any solid surface material. It is only plastic and resin. I machine it all the time(with carbide tools)and it finishes nicely. I scroll it alot also and the worst that happens is it melts back together if not done properly. Never any sparks. You may want to check the adjustment on your saw.

drawknife

I cut it with a miter saw and a table saw both have carbide tip blades. I have tried the scroll saw on it and couldn't get it cut without it bonding back together before I was finished. Had the speed up to high I suppose.

pssherman

Bob
Are you sure it was corian? There are other forms of solid surface material that has crushed stone suspended in a resin. I don't know the name of it, but it would produce sparks when cut.

loglugger

My band saw is set up right and yes it is corian from dupont and yes the sparks suprise me to. Turn down the lights and see if you can get the pretty little sparks that was wondering if it might catch the saw dust on fire inside the saw.
Bob

bruce119

My band saw is set up right and yes it is corian from dupont and yes the sparks suprise me to. Turn down the lights and see if you can get the pretty little sparks that was wondering if it might catch the saw dust on fire inside the saw.
Bob

Funny you should say that about a fire. This is a little off topic but thought I would share. I was sanding something with my bench sander. I have a Hitachi anyway it was sparking I didn't think much of it till the smoker started to pore out of the sander. It started to smolder the dust that collects in the bottom. I had to take the cover off quickly and remove the smoldering it melted my cover.

So beware when you cut or sand something that sparks. Think about the dust that collects in places could be a possible fire hazard.

Bruce

Jarheaded

I work with corian all the time and have never used a special blade and have never seen sparks. Bob is it possible that you are heating the corian up until it smokes and seeing all kinds of things?:D Remember that the smoke off the corian is not the greatest thing to breath in, nor is the invisible gases that come off it when it is heated. I like the little green guys that jump around on my bench and walls before I take an unplanned nap though.

loglugger

Johnnie, no the corian wasn't hot, don't remember but i think it was one of the multi colored ones. If I get a chance i'll check it out and see what one or more it was. Haven't used corain for quite awhile. After I noticed it I didn't pay much attention other than to clean the saw dust out a little better.
Bob

elody21

Any blade can be used for corian. But I can see where a scroll saw blade might have too small of teeth to be effective and get hot and melt back on you. I think one could scroll it if the corian were 1/8". If you want to try to scroll it let me know and I can send you some thin pieces. Another blade that one needs to watch out for is a band saw blade with really large teeth. The best I have found is a saw blade for things like paneling in the table saw or miter saw or the saw blade make for Corian. It will dull your blade no more than a hard maple
I have 3 set of blade I rotate out so at least one can be sharpened. At least 90% of what I cut is corian and yes a mask is a very good idea!

DozerMite

Banned
I scroll 3/4" corian quite often and have no problems at all with it melting back together.;) However it does melt together no matter the thickness if you don't know the trick to it.[:0]:D As for the scroll blade, it doesn't matter which one you use, they all work, but I use the spiral most of the time.
I use the carbide bldes in the table and chop saws and carbide bits in the router only because they won't dull as fast and they give a superior finish.

Jarheaded

The sparks that you saw may have been from an additive to make the corian appear to be granite or some other stone type. I have been slicing some corian and turned off the lights to see what happens. Some of the corian cut fine and some did spark. The ones that did spark were the ones made to look like stone. Elody21 knows about the corian and can give you some tips. I personally like to cut 1/2" corian on a scroll saw, but I use a new blade often and cut at a very slow speed with air blowing on it at all times.

Top Bottom