Corian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghostrider

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but lately it seems I'm having terrible results with Solid Surface glue ups, and I can't think of anything I'm doing different than before when I had no problems (I can't remember if I used thick or medium CA before, but am using thick now). Everything seems to go alright until I start turning, or after I'm finished. The seam just doesn't want to stay together. It either separates while turning, or when I press the parts in (no matter how careful I am. Two weeks ago it was a Euro that separated when I pressed the pen in (admittedly a bad press job that's been since corrected), and this week it was a block of Rosemary Corian that came apart when I pressed the finial in. I made sure to bevel the brass edge before press fitting the finial, and it went in very straight. However, now it's got a split on the seam on both sides of the barrel.

If I hadn't not had this problem on previous pens, then I'd probably just file the inside of the brass tubes and use Loc-Tite to hold the parts in place. But, I'd still like to know what the cause is.

Glue is fresh Titebond thick.

Wiped both surfaces with denatured alcohol, and clamped them together overnight. Let it sit for a couple days before drilling and made sure to keep the heat down during both drilling and turning.

I could just go ahead and file the tubes, but would still like to know if there's anything I'm missing.

Maybe I need to lap it with some 600 grit?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

are you scuffing the surface of each before gluing? I hit mine with some 220 grit until all the shinny surface is gone. When I sand it I put the paper on a smooth surface so I am also flattening the corian at the same time. I don't turn pens with it but I make bushing and other utility items using this method, washing, drying and gluing w/ med CA and have yet to have one delaminate.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Heat causes CA to soften. As you're cutting, you generate heat
through friction. That can cause the glue failure.
Corian installers use epoxy for bonding.

ghostrider

Thanks all for the responses.

I'm thinking it might be that I haven't been scuffing the surfaces before gluing. I do remember doing that before and didn't do it this time.

I was conscientious about heat build up and made sure to keep it down.

randyrls

Thanks all for the responses.

I'm thinking it might be that I haven't been scuffing the surfaces before gluing. I do remember doing that before and didn't do it this time.

I was conscientious about heat build up and made sure to keep it down.

Corian has no give at all! I expand the brass tube a bit until the fittings just slip in. Turn and put a drop of locktite or CA into the inside of the tube and twist the fitting on..

Top Bottom