Copyright Concerns

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dbarrash

Just currious................

What is the difference in using brand name "cigar bands" in pen castings vs any consumable that may have a brand or for that fact any label from any product that you may have purchased?

I'm not picking by choice cigar bands to use as an example.........it is just the 1st that comes to mind. It could just as easily been a "Krolex" watch face.

I appreciate the education.

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Dave ---

There are two different pieces of law that often are rolled together. One is copyright. The other is trademark.

They are quite different in enforcement, and who is responsible for taking actions.

I suspect the question you are really chasing is one related to trademark.

PTsideshow

You are not reproducing the item for use most times. In the case of cigar bands and other antique labels etc. Most were not copyrighted. Or the copyrights have expired on less they are still in production.
As long as you are using their labels their isn't generally a problem.

I think what you are confusing is the licensing of the use of the sport logos, colors, Disney,Nascar and the like movie, cartoon, and comic book items.

To further muddying the discussion you can add in Trademarks, Servicemarks. Trademark Basics here is the site for the basic info. it also covers the copyright.
:clown:

PTsideshow

Short answer is yes, if you make a logo, if they find out about it and want to make an example out of you. Disney is famous for the bounty in the legal news paper ads they had at one time. They went after a preschool here locally years ago that had their characters painted on the outside walls of their building. The preschool lost!

If you use a licensed logo of their making probably not. But you may need to consult a lawyer. As I'm not a lawyer and never played one on TV!
:clown:

Top Bottom