Copper pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jtd1

In another forum, a guy said he made a couple copper pens. My mind thought of the bodies being copper not just the typical pen kit. His pens were nice but i think one that was completelt copper would be awsome. copper should be soft enough to turn with regular turning tools right?

Has anyone done a solid copper pen. Maybe use a black pen kit with copper bodies? Would a CA finish be enough to keep it from tarnishing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
I made one from a copper rod instead of the wire wrappped, it turns fine, but is a little pricey for the rod. I didn't use a finish, the oils from your hand should help keep it from tarnishing and if it does tarnish a little, a quick buff or some brasso will fix it up.

AceMrFixIt

I did one with 14-2 wire. Used carbide tip tools. Looks nice with a coat of CA to stop tarnish. It makes for a heavy pen though. Not a very good pic. I did it according to the article mentioned above. If you do it use a spare mandrel to do the soldering.

Attachments

• Picture q.jpg
    Picture q.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:

Robert Taylor

i did a polaris like in the article, however i held the copper wraped tube in a c-clamp in a vise and soldered it off the mandrel. then turned with hss tools without any problems.

jtd1

I made one from a copper rod instead of the wire wrappped, it turns fine, but is a little pricey for the rod. I didn't use a finish, the oils from your hand should help keep it from tarnishing and if it does tarnish a little, a quick buff or some brasso will fix it up.

i had looked at copper rod on Mcmaster and it is a little spendy. I thought the copper would turn greenish from your hands. I had a cheapy watch that wore too much and turned my wrist green.

I like the wire idea but i'm not sure about the silver mixed in. thanks for the suggestions

DozerMite

Banned
I think there is a difference in solid and plated. My aluminum pens haven't had any problems either, but I use them often and keep them in a tarnish free box. My wife also has some tarnish free paper that keep metals from tarnishing. They use them for wind instruments, i.e silver flutes. It also works great for jewelry.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I haven't done any copper yet, but I have done several aluminum pens and I use the regular tools that I would use for wood.

Top Bottom