Copper Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I pulled out a copper kit a few weeks ago and went through my blanks. I wet a blank with a paper towel to give the color it would be with a finish on it. I did this in a bright light and found some colors to be great match for copper. I was surprised how many did not match.

I keep my blanks separated by kinds and colors. Some wood's color vary from tree to tree and even within a tree, so for this reason I went through about 200 checking to see what would look good. I could not pinpoint why one blank from a batch of several looked good but the rest did not. I also found that blondish/goldish pens as in the gold ironwoods that I have did not match. Of my blanks, - some reddish, black, dyed blue, one dyed green blank and holly looked great with the copper. I have not made one since I did that. But I do have those blanks separated for the copper.

I appreciate your question as I do see wood color and grain as very relevant to pen plating color, as well as style , when looking for the best possible presentation. There is a lot to be said for a beautiful pen that just "happens," but I still try to go by the old adage of "luck/success favors a prepared mind."

Rifleman1776

IMHO, that's a matter of personal taste. I usually spend quite a bit of time selecting blanks before I start a pen.
BTW, there have been reports that the copper finishes are not durable. Personally, I will no longer make pens with anything less than Tn gold, or Rhodium/platinum (silver color).

dlindquist

Thanks for the input. And one response all the way from Japan. I admired your snakewood Baron. I tried my first snakewood this past week. And, of course it cracked. I had read about the problems with snakewood, and waited until I thought I was ready, but obviously, I wasn't. I did try a copper finish with holly, and it looks great, but I worry about the holly. It seems too soft for a pen. My wife dropped it while she was admiring it, and it dented. (Our marriage did survive, though). Thanks again for all the input.

GaryMGg

I've done Amboyna burl, black cherry burl and Bubinga. All looked real nice with the copper kit. Also did a purpleheart with copper and really like that.

Paul Downes

I have some standing orders from customers living in Michigan's copper country. Since birdseye maple is king up there, that is gereraly the wood of choice. I have been thinking about getting a metal lathe so I can manufacture solid copper pen parts for pens to treat and get the green copper patina.

Paul Downes

David, In regards to snakewood cracking; I use a bullet point drill(when possible) when drilling snakewood and drip water in the hole every 1/8" of drilling depth as I drill the hole. Snakewood is so brittle that any side pressure ( wood chips packing in the drill flutes) will cause the wood to crack. The water acts as a coolant and causes the wood chips to flow out of the drill flutes like a mud. You have to continually clear the flutes while drilling.
When you get to the sanding phase of the pen finishing the water evaporates out the wood.
I use micro-mesh to 12000 and finish with a generous soaking with BLO before doing the BLO/CA finish.
I've had only one pen crack (months later) since switching to this method.

rickstef

I agree with the Cherry Burl, and Copper

Here is a link to a picture of a pen and pencil set I turned using the bright copper slimline kits from Woodturningz, and the cherry burl I got from PSI, in their showroom, in a 4 for $10 box
http://picasaweb.google.com/rickstef/TurnedPensAndOthers/photo#5116538934836658322

Rick

RichAldrich

I used a blue plastic blank from CSUSA. It was light and dark blue with swirls. I think it was called Sea Foam. I used a copper slim. I opened my case to show 2 people and they both wanted this one immediately over all my others.

Rich[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom