Copper Dragons, by Toni

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

So I am somewhat working with this epic set of tubes from Toni, it's her copper dragonscale. It's for a baron series but honestly I don't like the looks of anything that could fit on there. So theory goes don't like some of the hardware then toss it and get something that does work with it :) Am leaning towards something kitless, ideas? Suggestions?

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0636.jpg
    IMG_0636.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 923
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plantman

ED; How about Sterling Silver??? You could give the hardware a alcohol ink wash to bring it to the Knights of old look. Knights and dragons go well together. Fantastic tubes Toni !!! Jim S

Last edited:

Katya

I like the black ti, but my first thought was copper.. might be a bit much though.
I wonder if you could add a patina to the copper? Verdigris might be cool.

edstreet

Both of those are excellent ideas. I was not aware of the black chrome but there is still the center band O-ring issue to deal with. Still worth exploring.

bryceprusse

The Black Ti Baron would look nice. If you do not like the center band, the Black Ti Sedona center band is interchangeable.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Wanna go kitless? Just need some copper stock and, make your parts. OR, brass with copper plating. Copper can be powder coated. Should look real nice with Toni's Copper Dragon.

Arbetlam

I think the rhodium is a little bright and might take your eyes off the blanks. Where the black ti will compliment the blanks and become pert of the pen. Really like the blanks.

plano_harry

They look EXACTLY like Retros, having seen them in person. If plated, shouldn't be an issue. If used as molds to make castings, that is another story. I would love to be able to get some.:rolleyes:

Those are amazing. They look like oil rubbed bronze retros. I haven't seen anything like that available. Are they custom replated?

If it can be duplicated, the dragon scale would look really nice with that finish.

Alex

Joe S.

This would be hard, but awesome. Get someone with a fancy cnc setup and machine parts with a scaled pattern on them. A dark metal would look sweet!
I know that's kinda out there, but it WOULD be cool! :biggrin:

jyreene

Ed - my vote is kitless. But to ensure you don't detract from the scales I would go with a single color. Black ebonite would work but leave it a little more matte. If you wanted to set it off just a little you could go with an end cap insert in the cap and barrel. Maybe Toni could even make them out of the copper dragon scales. I'm with you on the Baron though. Not a fan of that kit.

Dan Masshardt

Hey Ed I have some Newport kits from rockler that are black ti with no exposed plastic threads Looks very similar to Jr Gent but Baron size tubes I'm pretty sure Would have to check lengths

LeeR

Hey Ed I have some Newport kits from rockler that are black ti with no exposed plastic threads Looks very similar to Jr Gent but Baron size tubes I'm pretty sure Would have to check lengths

Dan,

What has been your experience with the Newport kits? I was not familiar with them, looked on Rockler site, and they are on sale for 1/2 off, so I am really tempted to stock up. There were a couple negatives, and basically nothing that I was concerned over until I read one comment about the threads breaking. I'm guessing that was an isolated incident.

Dan Masshardt

Dan, What has been your experience with the Newport kits? I was not familiar with them, looked on Rockler site, and they are on sale for 1/2 off, so I am really tempted to stock up. There were a couple negatives, and basically nothing that I was concerned over until I read one comment about the threads breaking. I'm guessing that was an isolated incident.

To tell you the truth I haven't done much with them get but stocked up on that same sale. The quality looks pretty decent. Def. worth $10 I'd say. I'll try to do one soon and give more feedback.

Mr Vic

Ditch the Barons center band and punch out the finial plug..Turn some antler or bone (aka dragons tooth) to replace...age it a bit with maybe a touch of red (blood stain)

Top Bottom