copper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jlmort1980

Ok, I am just wondering, I am sure someone has done this but is it possible to turn copper on a wood lathe? If so, what special tools would I need to do this? Also does anyone know where I can get copper stock?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

you can get copper rods on Ebay real easy. It's a soft metal, easy to drill and easy to turn with a sharp chisel. It also conducts heat major, so it can get real hot to touch. I do not like it for pens because it gets dirty and oxidizes super fast. Lots of metals will oxidize and can make your fingers turn black over time, but none as bad as copper. Putting a finish on it is just a temporary fix and in the long run will come back to bite you. I think you can powder coat it, but the heat will change the nice bright color to be ugly and dark.

jlmort1980

Well I want to try and use it for nibs for my casing pens! And I wanted to use copper to keep it realistic to the bullet

JerrySambrook

What calibers are you trying?
I may be able to send a few bullets of various sizes

However, you do know that you will have to resize the cases you are using in order to take the bullets properly

JerrySambrook

the 30-06, 308 amd 30-30 all can use the same bullet.
I have son fmjs if you want about a dozen or so
I will see what I have on hand left for the .270

Once again though, you do need to have the neck (small dia portion) of the case resized to properly accept the bullets

rherrell

Be careful, copper is very "grabby" when you turn it on a metal lathe. I know it's soft but unlike brass it's difficult to turn. I haven't tried turning it with a chisel on a wood lathe though. My first thought would be to use a file and sandpaper. Let us know how it works out!:biggrin:

johnnycnc

I made this copper Jr Gent II a few years ago, it is attainable (and I did it) on a wood lathe with skill and a lot of patience.
So, yes you can!:biggrin:
I have not repeated the trick, it was a real pain to turn.. soft, gummy, sticky,
heats up like no tomorrow.
Finish on this one was sanded and polished and glass beaded.
It makes a nice pen, though rather heavy.

Dug this one out of my album:
1_IMG_0743.JPG

ctubbs

The only problem I see with your example, you are a master turner, experienced in both metal and wood. Even you say it was a pain to do with all your experience. With a good metal lathe and cooling, I might give it a whorl but not on a wood lathe as nasty as copper is to work. Not good IMHO. On the other hand Johnny, your work is supurb.
Charles

Top Bottom