Converting a Sierra to pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

I tried browsing that tutorial again (though I have one copy printed at home) and I can't seem to open it now.

Tried both Firefox and IE...both opens a new page but it is just white/blank page. Thought it will just take a few minutes to load but nothing. Is it only me?

Another problem...when I close the new "tutorial" page on Firefox, it takes the original page with it but before doing so, it locks up my computer few minutes (using up all my CPU memory). [?]

All other running softwares are fine. Could this be related to the IAP site problems Jeff posted earlier?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Drop Scott (Mudder) a note and I'm sure he'll send a copy. Send Jeff a note about the tutorial page problem. He loves hearing about our problems. [8D]

M

Mudder

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Drop Scott (Mudder) a note and I'm sure he'll send a copy.

Oh Yea?

SAYS YOU!!! [;)][;)]

Seriously now....... If you can't get one off the site there is another posted on the yahoo penturners group, the guild site, The Pen Shop, and on my site:

http://www.scottspens.com/kits/sierra_pencil.pdf

I'm actually working on an improved PDF file that will add a couple of tricks I discovered that will make the pencil more reliable and better looking (the nib does not stick out so far) so if the destructions don't work for you, shoot me a PM with your number and the best time to call and I'll walk you through the whole process. (free of charge) [:D]

Rudy Vey

Well, I tried this and followed the instruction and it does not work for me. Why I don't know. The only thing that was different from the instruction was that the pencil tip fitted already nicely through the nib part without boring it out. But I also did this with and without drilling open the nib assembly, the lead is not fed!! I think the movement the twist mechanism makes is way too short to de-press the feed mechanism of the pencil insert to move the lead. Any ideas here??

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Rudy Vey
<br />The only thing that was different from the instruction was that the pencil tip fitted already nicely through the nib part without boring it out.

That may be the problem right there. The Schmidt pencil refill needs to have a shoulder inside the endpiece in order to engage. Send Mudder an email and take him up on his offer. This is a real nice kit to make a pen and pencil set from once you get it to work.

its_virgil

Rudy,
The pen tip must be bored to allow the schmidt mechanism to move forward to give the other end more room(or it binds and won't work) so the twist/feed mechanism works properly. Keep boring little by little, stop and test fit. When the lead feeds and the mechanism works, stop boring..you're there.
Scott is a great help...he guided me through my first one. And as Lou mentioned, the sierra makes a strickingly nice set.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />Well, I tried this and followed the instruction and it does not work for me. Why I don't know. The only thing that was different from the instruction was that the pencil tip fitted already nicely through the nib part without boring it out. But I also did this with and without drilling open the nib assembly, the lead is not fed!! I think the movement the twist mechanism makes is way too short to de-press the feed mechanism of the pencil insert to move the lead. Any ideas here??

Randy_

<br />Well, I tried this and followed the instruction and it does not work for me. Why I don't know. The only thing that was different from the instruction was that the pencil tip fitted already nicely through the nib part without boring it out. But I also did this with and without drilling open the nib assembly, the lead is not fed!! I think the movement the twist mechanism makes is way too short to de-press the feed mechanism of the pencil insert to move the lead. Any ideas here??

Rudy: By drilling out the nib a little, it makes the twist mechanism movement a little longer and that extra movement is what allows the lead to be advanced correctly. Drill out the nib exactly as Scott explains in his tutorial and things should be fine.

Note: If you use the dimensions called for in Scott's paper, the tip of the pencil sticks out beyond the end of the nib just a hair more than I find esthetically pleasing. Haven't tried it yet; but I am fairly confident from measurements I have taken, that you can drill a little shallower than Scott calls for, still have the pencil cartridge function properly and achieve a more pleasing profile at the tip.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />

.... Haven't tried it yet; but I am fairly confident from measurements I have taken, that you can drill a little shallower than Scott calls for, still have the pencil cartridge function properly and achieve a more pleasing profile at the tip.....

Well Randy, your key phrase is that you haven't tried it yet so when you do let me know how you did it. Taking measurements is one thing; actually making one work is another. Rudy's measurments before he drilled were within .010" of my instructions. He was using a newer Sierra kit so I'm thinking there might have been a change somewhere along the line. I might have to buy a few of the new ones to see if they differ.

I'm currently working on version 2 of the instructions that will incorporate a couple little tricks I have learned that will allow you to drill a tad shallower at the nib end.

Rudy did take me up on my offer and called me last night. We spoke for a while and I think we worked things out.

Rudy Vey

Well, after some trying and talking to Scott (Mudder) I eventually got it done. I think that the new Sierra (Black Ti + Gold) may have to do with the problems I observed. Since these are my first Sierras, I had no experience with the initial models.
The twist mechanism has to be drilled to fit the small end of the pencil refill as well with a 1/8" bit from the side where it screws on to the nib to accommodate the thicker part of the pencil refill end. I did not need to drill much out in the nib, when I put the pencil in, it stuck already about .145" out.
One thing that is definately different from the original Schmidt mechanism (and thats what I am used to) is that after one has advanced the lead with a twist clockwise, it must be turned counter-clockwise to lock the lead in. If this is not done, the lead can be pushed easily back into the refill. One has just to get used to it. I guess I am not making a lot of Sierra pencils, I wanted to try it out just in case someone wants a pencil.
Thanks all here for the help!

Randy_

Originally posted by Mudder<br />...Taking measurements is one thing; actually making one work is another...

Can't argue with that, Scott. Guess I need to get back into the shop and finish what I started. I've got some business with Louis Comfort Tiffany this week; but when I get past that, the Sierra pencil conversion will be at the top of the TODO list!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom